Loch of the Legend of the Lost Sword?

Loch of the Legend of the Lost Sword?

This bizarrely named Loch, is actually a small lochan. This is located in Strathfillan and sits next to a small section of the West Hghland Way. Can't offer any info on the name as I was quite shocked to find a stone seat with the above mentioned name on it as this lochan is unnamed on the ordnance survey maps.
Boydie
on Apr 8, 2008 4:54 am
Image ID: 394947

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
lcarreau

lcarreau - Apr 9, 2008 9:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Sorry,

can't help in its identification. Me
thinks perhaps somebody lost their sword?
When my wife and I were in the backcountry,
my wife found an old machete that somebody
had tossed carelessly near a mountain lake.
It didn't have blood on it, so we took it
home with us. There are many 'secrets' out
there! I really love this little lochan.

gazlatic - Jul 17, 2009 1:20 pm - Hasn't voted

The legend

The story goes that when the Scottish outlaw Robert the Bruce was being pursued by the English he ordered his troops to lighten themselves by throwing their heavy weaponry into a small lochan on their route. Amongst these weapons was Robert the Bruce's legendary sword. According to the legend the weapon was of huge size, reports going from between 5 and 9 feet in length. Shortly afterwards and only a mile from the loch Bruce was over hauled but despite being lightly armed they fought off the English and lived to fight another day.

Well, thats what I was told! I have heard other tales that it was William Wallace's sword but the story is largely the same either way.

Boydie

Boydie - Jul 19, 2009 6:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The legend

Cheers for that. I couldn't find any info on this at all.
Cheers,
Stephen

Viewing: 1-3 of 3