Manakau Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
markhallam

markhallam - Apr 20, 2016 11:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice one Adam!

Clearly you are making the most of your time in NZ. I must keep a look out for any more postings.
I lived in NZ for a few years up to 20 years ago and got to the point of planning a trip up Manakau (intending to paraglide off the top - had flown off Mt Fyffe several times) but somehow never happened... but I did get to fly around the top like you did, but in a small airplane as opposed to a helicopter.
best wishes,Mark

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 7, 2019 12:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Many changes since the Nov 2016 Kaikoura Earthquake

Please note the following changes that radically changed the Hapuku RIver Valley:
1. The Barrats Bivy was completely destroyed in the landslide following the earthquake and no longer exists. You'll have to bivy under the stars or have a tent. I found a good sheltered bivy in some trees near the start of the slope to Stance Saddle.

2.The bypass trail skirting above the narrow gorge section of the river had part of the trail wiped out in another small slide, and a new trail bypasses above it adding about 200 feet of elevation gain up and overtop the ridge. There is an orange sign pointing to the left on the way in stating "Safe track around slip" to bypass the slide.

3. The entire valley floor between the start of the route to Stance Saddle and the gorge section of the river (about 2 miles length) is buried in 10-15 meters of landslide material. There is no more bushwhacking, but the hike up the valley is now on boulders and you'll occasionally have to cross the stream, which is sometimes guarded by a 5 meter high vertical cliff where the river has cut through the landslide debris the past few years. Scout the route ahead as you go and take note of where you may have to cross. Also note the valley floor is very hot when the sun is out in summer.

4. The lower part of the Hapuku Valley from the car park to the gorge bypass trail was hiked entirely on the creeks right (east) side due to changes in the river flow location. I hopped across the stream on large boulders right in the beginning where the road crosses, then stayed on the right side all the way to the start of the trail, where I only had to wade back across to the left side once to catch the trail (knee deep in late November).

5. There is a new lake a short ways above the start of the route to Stance Saddle just behind the 150 meter high landslide rubble dam. The outflow of this lake has cut a passage through the middle of this dam offering a fairly easy route following the outlet to the lake. It's a bright blue lake and offers a beautiful place for a short side trip.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Manakau' main page