Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.55904°N / 109.58305°W
Additional Information County: Grand
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Bouldering, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4900 ft / 1494 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a great little trail. The rim offers a wonderful view of Moab and the surrounding area. It's awfully crowded with Jeeps and mountain bikers, but they pretty much stay to the same line, and hikers can go many places where 4x4's could never dream.

How to Get There

The Moab rim is located just west of Moab Utah. To get there, Take Kane Creek Boulevard 2.6 miles northwest of its intersection with Hwy 191. I believe there is a McDonalds on the corner. The Trailhead is found on the left side of the road. There is a large pullout, which is usually crowded with large rock crawler 4x4's. This is a VERY popular rock crawling destination, so the jeeps rule the roost a little bit. There is a information sign to the left (easterly) side of the pullout/parking area. The trail begins just behind that. Simply head east-ish, up the most obvious route (on the slickrock there is no succint trail, it's all good surface to hike on, so just follow the path of least resistance) There is a large sandstone wall on the south side of the rim trail, which could possibly offer some fantastic trad and big wall climbs. It is fairly short (1.5 miles one way) and only has and elevation gain of slightly less than a thousand feet, so its not a terribly difficult climb, but the rewards are wonderful. The scenic rim is a perfect overlook for the city of Moab and the surrounding geology. Great for a morning or afternoon hike, or for a picnic in a very scenic area.

Red Tape

No red tape here, Just find it and climb it.

Camping

As far as I know, there are no camping restrictions on the moab rim trail. It would be a fairly noisy place to camp with the Jeeps running 24 hours a day, But go for it if you wish. Just be sure to leave no trace, and try not to set up camp in an obvious trail area. You'll upset a lot of Jeepers. Before you haul off and take my word for it, (to be safe about restrictions) I would call the local BLM, and just let them know what you want to do. (435) 259-2100

External Links

http://www.discovermoab.com/hiking.htm



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.