Monte Salinchiet from Casera Pizzul

Monte Salinchiet from Casera Pizzul

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.53690°N / 13.17866°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium hard hike up
Sign the Climber's Log

Rating the Route (By Hiking Standards)

Monte Salinchiet map
Monte Salinchiet from the north
Monte Salinchiet from the north

The grading system for hiking and scrambling routes is here.

0. General: From Caserute meadow, 1532 m to 1857 m, exposition W, E, N and S (we go around the mountain). First over grassy slopes on the Pizzul saddle, then down on the eastern side, then the northern slopes through woods and dwarf pines, then a steeper ascent over a few a bit exposed (secured) passages, finally a panoramic ridge and steep grassy slopes. Gear: Good hiking shoes and poles.

1. Effort: cca 600 m, 3 h.

2. Power: 2 - Easy, only walk-up, but also steep below the summit.

3. Psyche: 2 - Easy, only one or two a bit more exposed ledges, secured with a cable.

4. Orientation: 2 - Easy, well marked, also in the woods.

Getting There

See the parent page how to get in Paularo and further up to Csera Pizzul, 1532 m.

Map: Tabacco: Alpi Carniche Orientali, Canal del Ferro. 1:25.000.

Route Description

Above Forca Pizzul
Flowers on the N ridge

The first objective is to reach the path No. 435, which crosses the slopes on the other side of the ridge, above Pontebbana valley. The quickest way is to go by the path No. 441 eastwards on Forca Pizzul, 1708 m, and on the other side in the same direction down till Rif. Forte di Pezzeit, 1475 m. The continuation is the same as described on this route. From Pezzeit hut we continue across the slopes in the southern direction. Allways through woods, crossing many more or less dry (depends on season) water beds. So we approach the N face of Monte Salinchiet, where the terrain is more opened. Scree fields on the right, broad areas of dwarf-pine, the path is still well marked and strong, but after the last ravine (Rio Saline) starts ascending - first slowly, then in a few turns, using one or two a bit exposed ledges. There the path is protected. The crossing continues, finally the path ascends through a forrest on the E-SE ridge, where the view towards the south opens. Some good 2 h till here.  

Monte Salinchiet summit ridge
The summit ridge (E-SE)

From the ridge, the path No. 435 descends on the other side, towards the nearby Pradulina alpine meadow. Our marked path, however, turns sharply right and follows the ridge towards the summit. This part of the ascent is interesting because of growing panorama and because of the rests from World War I which we can explore. Towards the summit, our path goes mostly by the S side of the ridge. In the upper part it gets weaker, but the direction is clear. Last some 20 meters are a steep ascent over a rocky slope. So we reach the SE summit, which is 1 meter lower than the NW summit, which we see nearby. Climbing there would mean a few passages up to UIAA II level of difficulty.

Variant:

(We did it in the opposite direction) From Forca Pizzul we could also continue southwards by a panoramic ridge, where the path 441b goes. Over the first elevation (1767 m) we reach a small saddle and then the next elevation (1739 m). Till here we could come also directly over Casera Paluchian (road till there). Now we are already close to the NW ridge of Monte Salinchiet. If we don't want to climb it, we must avoid it left down. Over a pathless terrain north of the dry bed of Rio Saline we descend in the E direction and hit below the path No. 435 on the altitude of 1507 m. Then right as described.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.