Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.88380°N / 3.4372°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2906 ft / 886 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pen Y Fan is the highest mountain in South Wales, in the middle of the Brecon Beacons. There are wonderful views across the valley of the river Usk to the North, and connecting walks from the summit to the other "Beacons". The easiest route is a walk, stiff at times, up the "back" of the mountain from the Storey Arms Visitor Centre (altitude 430m) on the A470 road from Brecon to Merthyr. The Storey Arms route took me about 1 hour to the summit in poor weather, walking briskly on the flatter bits. It attracts hordes of people in good weather, but it was cloudy and raining when I climbed, and there were no more than 20 people on the whole mountain. There are more challenging and worthwhile scrambles up the mountain from the North, which few people use, though the view is much more dramatic.
 

Cracking sunset coming down...
Cracking sunset

Getting There

M4 from London to Wales, then A40 to Brecon, finally turn South onto the A407 just West of Brecon. Storey Arms is well signposted, on the left with a good car park on the left.
 

Corn Du (left) and Pen y Fan...
Corn Du and Pen Y Fan

 

Red Tape

No permits required. No fees. The mountain was closed to walkers after the foot and mouth epidemic in 2001, but is now open.

When To Climb

This is a mountain you can climb any time of year. The weather is marginally more reliable in summer than winter, but the mist can descend in Wales at any time. When the weather is clear the views from the top are fantastic, whether it's over snow or greenery.
 

James on Summit
On the summit

Camping

There are lots of local camp sites in the Usk Valley to choose from. I would recommend just turning up and asking locally.
 

This picture was taken from...
Summit cairn and hikers

Mountain Conditions

Some good websites on Pen Y Fan and the surrounding area:
Weather forecast

Local weather forecasts could help if you want to predict the conditions, but you can't depend on them. Its a good idea to have a compass and a good map just in case the mist comes down.

Brecon Beacons Park Society

A very informative site about Pen Y Fan and its surroundings.

White and green

 
Taken from Corn Ddu summit on...
 
Cribyn seen from pen y fan

Pen Y Fan and Cribyn, different seasons.

Distances to other climbs

The distance from Pen-y-Fan to:
Snowdon (143km)
Scafell Pike (289km)
Glencoe (542km)
Glenshee(552km)
Nevis Range (566km)

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.