Mount Aylmer Comments

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
EastKing

EastKing - Jun 6, 2005 3:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.

wildstar

wildstar - Jun 6, 2005 7:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

More good work.

vvujisic

vvujisic - Jun 6, 2005 9:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice beginning of this page!

All the best!

Nelson

Nelson - Jun 7, 2005 10:53 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wow, you are cranking out some consistently nice work! By the way, where is your profile photo taken?

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Jun 7, 2005 11:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you Nelson, I am not the talent you are, but I keep good notes and catalogue my photos...kind of a blue collar type of photographer. Makes up for my lack of talent I suppose.



That photo was in Kenya. I offered my two daughters growing up that I would take them traveling, one on one, anywhere in the world once a year. My method of getting them out of the egocentric US mentality. My youngest hooked up with a nonprofit providing clothing and food to this village. I bought a ton of running shoes for the village and went over with the main shipment on this trip. I "literally" ran with the lions with the young chief. I could not belief it. It was one of the most special trips I have ever taken. We set our tent up amongst their huts and ate, drank and worked with the tribe for 2 weeks. I grew up on a cattle farm and have an animal science degree, so it came in handy. Long answer, but that photo evokes a lot of memories. Thanks for your kind words Nelson, Cheers!

Nelson

Nelson - Jun 7, 2005 1:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the story on the photo Dow. I figured there had to be a story in there and that is a good one. Wonderful thing to do for your daughters, and that villiage.



I'm just an amateur photographer who has managed to into some beautiful areas where it was easy to get a good shot. While I do give myself some credit there is a certain amount of luck involved. A lot of good shots got away also. Your "blue collar" stuff is pretty darn good! See you around.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 7, 2005 11:47 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hey Dow, you seem to be putting up all of Canada in no time! Good page again!

Corax

Corax - Jun 7, 2005 1:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another good page, with great photos.

Rob

Rob - Jun 7, 2005 7:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice work!

Hey, btw...does bear spray really work on Grizzlies?

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Jun 7, 2005 9:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Rob. Yes it does, but you have to be damn close. This is pretty much a last ditch scenario if one has gotten that close to you. If you spray it too early, no effect whatsoever. Simply a deterrent. If a cub and mother are involved, it will not matter. Works best on young juvenile bears like the 4yr old that killed my friends wife on Sunday. They are the most unpredictable. They simply are testing the waters and don't know what to think of humans necessarily. Depends how exposed to humans or comfortable they get. I have encountered approximately 10 bears in the wilderness, only 4 grizzlies. You stand your ground, give them an exit. End of story. You absolutely cannot run or climb a tree. Both of these responses induces predator chase just like any dog your know. Unlike a mountain lion, you do not act as the aggressor either. Just quiet. Little conversation...slowly yield ground. I do so many solos, that I just wear my helmet from camp or car to summit and back. Bears cause their worse injuries to humans about the head and scalp. That is how they are use to killing their prey. I also carry an alpine ax year round. Not only do I use it on 90% of my ascents anyway, but on steep terrain it works better than a pole. It also is better than a pocket knife for that worse case scenario if you are actually in battle with a cat or bear. Of course I am sure you are aware, this incident Sunday was extremely rare. Bears definitely have always respected my presence. They know how the food chain is stacked, unfortunately for them. Hope I did not bore you. Cheers and thanks again for your vote Rob.

Rob

Rob - Jun 8, 2005 2:15 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the info. Condolences to you and your friend and his family. Take care.

Jerry L

Jerry L - Jun 7, 2005 9:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good one,again.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Jun 8, 2005 2:47 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks shredder, read my post on the general thread. I can't go to sleep. This new one landed on us like a ton of bricks tonight. I must have bad chi running through something. Her mom has to be devastated. Three days, two golden people/athletes...makes no sense to me.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Mount Aylmer' main page