Viewing: 1-9 of 9
desainme

desainme - Jul 29, 2004 1:06 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Has a fine aspect from the north. I am curious about the name Tamarack. As a tree this is Larix( Larch) which grows from Maine to the Yukon and another couple of species which grow from central Oregon up to Southern BC. Just curious how this mtn. recieves its name when Tamarack is not native to the state? Thanks for the fishing info.

bearbnz

bearbnz - Jul 29, 2004 9:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You are correct in your belief that there are no Tamarack trees in the vicinity of this peak. Apparently the Lodgepole Pine is quite similar in appearance to the Tamarack, and the two are often confused. There are some nice stands of Lodgepole Pine in the basin on the north side of the peak. Again, it is not an "official" name, but the consensus name given by the locals. Tamarack Lake and Tamarack Creek are names recognized by the USGS, and are on the 7.5' map. Thanks for taking the time to view the page, and for the positive vote.



Barry

desainme

desainme - Jul 29, 2004 12:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for looking into the botany. There is a Tamarack Mine too-a bit to the east of Tamarack Creek. I saw it while rumaging through the Topozones.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jul 29, 2004 2:07 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page with great pictures. I always wonder about this huge (in my eyes) summits that don't even have an official name. Here in Europe every minor side summit has its name.

Jerry L

Jerry L - Jul 29, 2004 6:23 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting and well done.

bearbnz

bearbnz - Jul 29, 2004 9:14 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for taking the time to view the page, and for the positive vote.



Barry

bearbnz

bearbnz - Jul 29, 2004 9:14 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for taking the time to view the page, and for the positive vote.



Barry

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 29, 2004 12:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.

Dean

Dean - Feb 24, 2005 12:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good one.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Tamarack Peak (Peak 11,778)' main page