Hochstadel Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 44
Klenke

Klenke - Oct 27, 2004 2:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Holy Cow! Did you climb all of these peaks in this last climbing season? You were busy.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 2:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Paul. Yeah, we sumitted a lot, contrary to what we usually do. The weather was just too fine! Be sure to come back in a couple of days, I have lots of cool pix of that climb but for now DSL is out and uploading by modem just isn't fun.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 27, 2004 4:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I'm never coming back. I'm leaving this site forever. Goodbye....



....Hi, me again. Sorry. I forgot something....



....forgot that there's a chain attached to my leg that connects with your leg. We're in this together, man. We're like those two prisoners in the Count of Monte Cristo.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 4:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Who are you? Edmont Dantes? Then I'm the Abbé Faria! That was the wise one and I can picture myself in that rôle. Damn! Am I starting to talk francais? Merde! Quelle dommage!

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 27, 2004 5:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well, since you're older than me you're obviously Abbé Faria. The two guys were imprisoned mere yards from each other for many years and never saw each other. For us, that wall and blind alley would be cyberspace. I can hear you rapping (away at your keyboard). For forty years you've been rapping mountain pages onto your cell's walls. You're running out of space. The vertical walls take the mountain pages, the ceiling gets the route pages, the floor gets the summitlogs and trip reports, the door gets the member feedback, the toilet gets the votes.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 5:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Real life isn't that different. Last Thurs I had to spend a night at a hotel and I had taken 7 maps with me to ponder over a grouping structure of the Southern Carnic Alps. So I plastered my hotel room (walls, bed and floor) with maps, started my gps software on the laptop and compared. After a while I started to observe myself from the outside. "What am I doing here? What if anybody sees me? What will they think?".



Simple solution: I closed the curtains and took a deeper view on one of those maps....



But should I have watched "who wants to be a millionaire?" instead? Or some whacky reality show? Baah!

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 27, 2004 5:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Do you get the sense that Patterson's bitching in the Feedback forum (the thread in which you posted, specifically) is just a veiled attempt to complain at people like you or me who are above him in the almighty "see if I really care" points and who contribute more? Dare I say hidden jealousy.



I think the guy misunderstands my sense of humor, my wit, my saying things as if fact when any discerning fellow could see they're merely jokes (like the desire to reach 2,000 points for that Audi illuminated in a miasma). I like pulling people's chains. I'm telling you, Gangolf, its hard dwelling at the top. Maybe that's why om stays at a low profile. I wish I could but I'm too garrulous. When at the top one reads other people's comments about points/voting/etc. and gets the vague idea that maybe they're indirectly referring to you.



Won't you hurry up and pass me already. Take this mantle of attainment of my shoulders.

THE HERMIT

"The mantle of attainment

Weighs heavy on his shoulders

Guided by a lantern

Flickering, he grows older

A refuge found in exile

He shuffles on in blindness.

You'll take his hand, he'll lose himself

Bewildered by your kindness

Enshrouded by darkness

A figure slowing forms

Through many years of banishment

No shelter from the storm

To find this slave of solitude

You'll know him by his star

Then take his hand, he'll lose himself

Knowing who you are."


---Steve Hacket, 1975

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 6:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I haven't heard of Steve Hacket lately. Is he still alive?



Don' you ever take things seriously, please! Contrary to your observation I alway feel that people fall silent (reverently?!?) when I post a message to a thread. I must have killed tons of them. Well, actually I try to keep a low profile myself but on a day like today when I'm having fun, poured a couple of glasses of Califorinian wine into myself (sweet reminiscences) - I just can't help it.



Now I feel kinda guilty that I (again) killed Scott's thread, who is btw the most active and sincere member of SP. I think he just couldn't take the double pack of us making fun of him.



We're guilty!



Still I can't excuse myself since he is not going to read the thread anymore! Bummer!



Why does om keep a low profile? Because he can be attacked on many fronts. And lately he has been.



But I still don't get it. Two people of moderate age (wel,l adult) ask to adopt the Mont Blanc pages, knowing what awaits them. As soon as they have 'em they start ranting about too many pictures and won't we pleeease delete 'em all. Why in the name of the unholy haloween pumpkin did they want to adopt these pages? Don't say votes. They'll flame you!!



Rant over!



Party begins.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 27, 2004 6:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hackett's still alive. Still puts out good music (to me at least). He's in his 50's now. I've always wanted to see him in concert but, alas, his tours generally spin through Europe or don't roll through the Pacific Northwest.



I agree Scott is a top echelon contributor (anyone over 1,000 points is) but he tends to bitch too much. One should pick one's spots, not bitch about everything, let some things slide.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 6:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Haven't seen any advertisements for Hacket tours around here lately. But wait! Last year there was a YES reunion tour with all the old guys - even including Wakeman. It even came to my hometown! And I was busy climbing mountains in Italy!



Can't say I feel too bad about it ;-)



I'm outta here. Need my beauty sleep. Need to catch up with my 70's photos with wool knickers, PA's, swami belt.....

Bor

Bor - Oct 27, 2004 3:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page again!! Like always!



I wish to your DSL line the best! :-)

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks! I have enough texts to post so I'm not going to bore myself.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 3:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks again!

Dean

Dean - Oct 27, 2004 6:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hot damn, what a page. You've done it again, you've put up another winner. Great embedded pics and great info. Your stuff is mouthwatering good.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 27, 2004 6:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Dean. Please be sure to revisit. I'm surfing on my modem right now but once my dsl is back there are som 30 pictures waiting to be posted. That day was simply gorgeous. Sticking your head out of the fog always is. BTW - I wrote a trip report about it - if you haven't seen already ;-)

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Oct 27, 2004 8:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another amazing page! Thanks for sharing!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 28, 2004 3:11 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Brad! The place sure is amazing!

Moni

Moni - Oct 27, 2004 10:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is a good page with lots of info. I have no DSL line, and so when someone insists on full size pictures using the img command, it takes forever to load. I think that is why Josh initially set up Summitpost to do thumbnails - to prevent slow loading pages. If you think a larger picture enhances the pages then I would suggest you reduce the picture size so that it doesn't take so long to load. It also breaks up the screen and takes longer to read. I like the thumbnails or somewhat smaller pictures better, with the option of looking at the full sized ones at my discretion.

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Oct 28, 2004 1:52 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Now, here again is a mountain that I know! Great page even with as few pictures. Somewhere in my cupboard I surely have some pictures from north and will post them as soon as I have found them. At this mountain some climbing info about the north face (routes, first climbers) should be added. I have once read that it was the second highest rock face in eastern alps behind Watzmann east. English expression for “Alm” is “pasture”, isn’t it?



I haven’t as much time to read as you have to write. Amazing. Don’t you work anything?? The shere amount of pages, text and pictures probably is too much for regular readers without a relationship to Austria. IMHO you would get more attention and votes if you did not post as much in that short time. The winter is still long! Just my opinion.



Since I have DSL the size of the pages is no problem, but without loading time surely is a problem. Moni is right.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 28, 2004 3:30 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Mathias! I would have added north face route infos if I had found any. So if you can, feel free to add. My tourbook says that Hochstadel'S north face is the third highest in the eastern Alps but doesn't say anything about the other two. Watzmann, Dachstein and Agner (Pale di San Martino) all could be higher. I know Agner is but then that was supposed to be the highest of the whole Alps. I suppose it depends on how (and what) you measure.



I am certainly not looking for attention for my pages. I feel much like you do that here we have an encyclopedia of mountains on the web and I try to contribute. I am happy if people like picts and pages but am even more happy about constructive comments like this one you posted. It doesn't matter when I'll get the feedback - or if. I got carried away with the large picturees, lately so I am going to check myself again. Though group pages will be an exception.



Speaking of which: I'll have a lot to do to fill the missing blanks of the Carnic Alps Subgroups. So I'm quite happy that the winter will be long ;-) I'll have to be done by the time of my next vacation .....

Viewing: 1-20 of 44
Return to 'Hochstadel' main page