Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.78985°N / 125.74775°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6663 ft / 2031 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Cobb is located on the Cervus-Wolf Divide (Filberg Range) east of Cervus Creek and to the south of the group's high point Mt Filberg. It is Vancouver Island's 13th highest peak. The massif is in many ways similar to Filberg, a large high basalt dome. What distinguishes it in form is the separate summit tower that juts up to the west of the main bulk of the mountain. There seems to be some confusion on the top as to which of two high points is the summit, for many years a large cairn adorned the obviously lower point.

The summit tower is split down its north face by a deep gully capped with an improbable chockstone, easily seen from the comfort of the gentler south side of the summit tower.

Getting There

The route in to Mt Cobb can be started from Highway 28. Drive west on Highway 28 from Campbell River following the signs for Gold River. Approach the mountain by either traversing the length of the Filberg Range from the south via Cervus Pass or from the north via Elk Mountain. To reach the mountain directly park at the Lady Falls parking lot and follow the rough route up Cervus Creek.

Standard Route

The summit is easily reached by a hiking route up the south flanks of the summit tower from the adjoining ridge to Mt Haig-Brown.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road, in this case Highway 28. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, pay special attention to minimizing disturbance in the sensitive wildlife habitat in Cervus Creek, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks