Mt. Sneffels Climb and Ski/Board Descent

Mt. Sneffels Climb and Ski/Board Descent

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking

Sneffels Trip: June 20, 2007

Eric and I made our way to telluride a few days before telluride bluegrass to get some fishing and climbing/skiing/boarding in. These are the pictures from our attempt at the summit of Mt. Sneffels. We turned around at the top of the upper couloir on the standard route due to deteriorating snow conditions and wet-slide activity in the area. This was my second attempt on Sneffels and the second time I have not made the summit (the other time I was seven and stopped at Lavender Col). The road to Yankee Boy Basin was rough but passable in a Subaru Outback. We parked at the solar outhouse and headed out right before 7am, which ended up being a little too late for a summit bid. We made the top of the upper couloir at 945am after several quick breaks and Eric had to drop the kids off. The views from the top were amazing.
Climbing up to lavender col
First look up lavender col on Mt Sneffels

Top of Lavender Col
Upper couloir on Sneffels standard route

Climbing up the upper couloir
Teakettle Mtn.

Descending upper couloir on Mt. Sneffles
Descending Mt. Sneffels

Top of upper couloir on Sneffels

Skiing/Boarding

The skiing was great corn snow. We opted not to carry our gear to the top of the upper couloir because the snow was getting soft fast and we wanted to hurry. After a quick up and down, we got ready and dropped in at 1030am. We skied as far as we could, avoiding wet-slide potential areas. Back to the car right around noon.
Duct tape snowboard binding
Boarding down Sneffels
Teleskiing Sneffels
Mt. Sneffels from near Wrights Lake
Taking a breather


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Britette

Britette - Jun 27, 2007 12:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Sweet!

Good to see you're still getting after it! Sounds like Telluride + skiing Sneffels = excellent trip.

smason505

smason505 - Jun 27, 2007 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sweet!

It was a great trip with snow quality equal to the ski from the castle/conundrum saddle. Hope all is well.

maverick

maverick - Jun 28, 2007 1:12 pm - Voted 10/10

nice...

crapload of snow up there... I was up in YB basin in the first week of May and it doesn't look very different now. Thanks for the beta... I might head up to Sneffels soon.

smason505

smason505 - Jun 28, 2007 4:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice...

If you are going back down there, let me know. I am kicking myself for not starting earlier and missing the summit.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.