NE Summit - West Face

NE Summit - West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.77193°N / 82.36313°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Expedition
Additional Information Difficulty: 40 degree snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

An easy route. I went from 5350m where I had my base camp. It took me almost 8 and 1/2 hours BC-summit-BC. Possible problems are deep snow, hard wind and watch out for crevasses (not big risk).

Getting There

See main page.
When you spot the mountain from the west head for a deep valley. It is almost in between the two highest points.

Route Description

BC = 34°47'55.44"N 82°17'20.43"E
From base camp look west. There are some deep valleys which look tempting for approach. Don't use them. Hard walking on big rocks and loose scree. Choose the long ridge running parallel with the range instead. There is a deep valley between this ridge and slope where the snow starts. Walking along the snow line is not good either. Rocks, ice and rolling topography makes it hard to go this way.
Continue on the ridge until the gravel ends.
You see two defined peaks in front of the wall. On this wall the highest point of the NE part of the massif is located.
Walk SE past these two peaks. Closest way to access to summit ridge is just under the two defined peaks.
The route drops a little in front of the wall. Rocky outcroppings on your right. Climb next to these. Perhaps 40 degrees.
When on ridge head dead north (left).
The summit ridge has a crevasse in the middle. It runs in S-N direction. A little bit corniced.
The highest point is at 34°46'25"N 82°21'51"E
6368m GPS.
Many maps show other elevations. Sometimes the SW summit is given as the higher of the two.
Routes

Down

It's tempting to go steeper down. Don't! The fastest and steepest way down has hidden crevasses under the snow. I know.

Essential Gear

Warm clothing.
Snow shoes will help.
Also crampons, but not 100% necessary.

View

N and NW - Keriya and Qong Muztagh range and peaks.
NW and E - Beginning of the Chang Tang Plateau.
E - The emptiness of the western brink of the Chang Tang.
S - Many far away mountains without names and saline lakes.
SW - Memar Range and Loutou Co.
W - Two large salt lakes. Puer Co is the north one. I have forgotten the name of the other.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.