North Face via Lodgepole Lake

North Face via Lodgepole Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.59585°N / 110.78896°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Mild
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

For a more exciting and less used route than Hades Pass, you can approach from about Lodgepole Lake for a great class 3 scramble up to the ridgeline, and then an easy walk of about 0.6 miles to the summit. This is a great option for those who want to spend a few days fishing the many lakes of the Grandaddy basin, but also want to summit the highest peak nearby.

Getting There

From the Grandview Trailhead you will follow the trail over Hades Pass. The easiest way to get to this route is to stay on the main trail around Grandaddy Lake until you descend to Lodgepole Lake, where you will be able to see the route and can leave the main trail to start climbing. 

For those who want to cut distance off, you can go off trail around the southern shore of Grandaddy Lake, then continue along the base of the mountain until you reach the route described below. This is a shorter distance, but does not really save you much time as you travel off trail and have to deal with marsh and tree fall. 

Route Description

From Lodgepole Lake, you can easily see the route. Here is a picture taken from the trail between Lodgepole and the unnamed lake just above it:

Unnamed Image


Continue following the trail east from Lodgepole Lake. It quickly turns a SE direction before turning back east again in approximately .25 miles. At this point, leave the trail and head up to be base of the mountain proper. As you exit the trees, the gully will be clearly visible.

Ascend the gully until you reach the ridgeline, at which point you will be just below a hump in the ridge. Climb that, then head south along the ridge about .3 miles to the summit. 

Most people will choose to descend the same way you ascended, but you can also easily go down any of the other routes, particularly Hades Pass if it fits with your final destination.

Essential Gear

Nothing to special needed for this one. Trekking poles are useful to help on the loose dirt in the gully, but other than that, just your standard hiking gear.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.