North Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.09860°N / 119.6169°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 / Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


1) From Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, take the trail north to Jack Main Canyon until you reach the PCT. Continue north for 2.5 miles until youe reach Chittenden Peak on the right hand side. (18 miles total)

2) From Leavitt Meadows Pack Station, follow the West Walker River trail south until you reach the Cascade Creek trail (10.9 miles). Follow the Cascade Creek trail and PCT to Dorothy Pass (2.5 miles). Continue south on the PCT past Grace Meadow until you reach Chittenden Peak (7.9 miles). (21.3 miles total)

3) From Kennedy Meadows Resort, follow the Huckleberry Trail until you reach the cut off for Brown Bear Pass (11.8 miles). Take the Brown Bear Pass trail east over Brown Bear Pass and Bond Pass until you reach the PCT (7.3 miles). Head south on the PCT until you reach Chittenden Peak (6.4 miles). (25.7 miles total)

4) From the Leavitt Lake trailhead, follow the Leavitt Pass trail south, up and over Big Sam, for 10 miles until you reach Emigrant Pass. Near Grizzly Meadow, take the trail split to the southeast that leads over Bond Pass to the PCT (3.5 miles). Head south on the PCT until you reach Chittenden Peak (6.4 miles). (19.9 miles total)

Route Description


The gully leading up the north side of Chittenden Peak is a fairly easy Class 2 scramble with a few very short Class 3 sections and minimal exposure. There are opportunities to do some short Class 4 climbing along the way, or you can traverse around those sections keeping to the simpler route. You have the option of staying in the gully which is a mix of solid granite, boulders, dirt and grass, or you can hug the ridge to stay on the better rock avoiding the dirt/grass altogether.

Follow the gully to the top. It will flatten out a bit and then there is one last scramble of 100ft or so up a boulder field to the summit. The high point is the large boulder which also holds the summit register within a pile of rocks.

Start elevation: 8,900'
Summit: 9,685'
Elevation gain: 785'
Distance: ~ 1 mile

Essential Gear


There is no special equipment required for this climb during the summer months except for the usual overnight backcountry camping gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.