Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.46238°N / 110.62638°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log


Jackson Peak looking North
The NE Ridge, from Jackson Peak's summit.


Overview

The northeast ridge is a fun hike/scramble to one of most popular and accessible peaks around Jackson. A climber's trail, faint at times but usually easy to follow in summer, follows the ridge with a bit scrambling over rocky pinnacles and returns to an easy trail for the last ~200' to the summit. Views are spectacular all around, with the Tetons to the northwest, and the heart of the northern Gros Ventres to the east. Also on display are other ranges of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, from the Wyoming range in the south, to parts of the Absarokas to the north.


Sheep Mountain from Jackson Peak
Sheep Mountain from Jackson Peak's northeast ridge,
early evening after a storm. Sept. 2013.

Getting There

Drive east through Jackson on Broadway into the Elk Preserve. Turn right onto the Curtis Canyon Rd after a few miles. Take the Curtis Canyon Rd to the Goodwin Lake TH, bearing right at the Sheep Creek Rd fork, then stay left. In summer, in dry conditions most medium clearance vehicles should make it, though it may require patience.

Route Description

From the Goodwin Lake TH, take trail toward Goodwin Lake. Just past the Gros Ventre Willderness boundary sign, you'll take a climbers' trail that bears uphill and slightly right. Follow this trail uphill, eventually going over some rock outcrops. Depending on your route over these, it'll be class 2/3. Stay on the ridge, which descends slightly, then follow the trail uphill on the NE ridge to the summit. Descend the same route, or follow the trail down the south slopes, then west and north past Goodwin lake on the main trail back to the trailhead. 

Theoretically, this could be done in winter, but would be much more involved. Things to consider are TH access, snow danger, cornices, etc. If you're up to it, you probably don't need this page.

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear, map, etc. Whatever you usually use. In early season axe and crampons may be desired.

External Links

http://www.mountainweather.com/





Jackson Peak Summit Cairn
Jackson Peak's summit & cairn.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.