Northwest Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.64354°N / 105.18444°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: YDS Class 2+
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the only route I know that gets you up to the summit without coming across a serious pitch. The mountain may look very easy, but don't be fooled. It contains very dangerous terrain that one slip can be fatal. Its steep slopes and shear rock can make both the accent and decent very difficult. Once you get to the summit ridge, you have about 50 feet of exposure in certain spots and the shear rock ridge makes getting to the summit dangerous for experienced climbers. This route has a trail, but ends and then after that you must find your own way to the summit ridge, then to the summit. Unexperienced climbers should not attempt this, instead climb Dinosaur Ridge or Mount Morrison for the experience.

Getting There

From Denver, connect to US 25 and drive south to the intersection and connect to US 285. From there, pass the intersection for US 470 and head to the town of Morrison. As you almost approach Morrison, make your very first left on a side road and park in the parking area. The trail is marked as "Trail" just to the left of the parking lot.

Route Description

 
Ridge to summit
Ridge to the summit
A very well worn trail exists until it ends. Even though it may be tempting, do not go up any side trails, it is against the Open Space regulations and a lot harder than it looks. Once you reach where the trail appears to end, there is a cave inside a split in a rock. Go to the left of that and hike up difficult terrain untill you get to the summit ridge. Depending on when you joined the ridge, the walk along to the summit is long and unexpectiningly exposed. Find your way of walking across the ridge. The summit is very small and it is the most exposed part of the ridge. Great views exist of Denver and Red Rocks including Morrison. Be carful on your decent and try to hook up with the original trail.

Essential Gear

Good hiking boots and standard hiking gear would be useful.

External Links

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=6308

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
JustinShapiro

JustinShapiro - May 28, 2013 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Spelling corrections

Fixed.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - May 29, 2013 11:56 pm - Voted 9/10

Re: Spelling corrections

And deleted! :)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.