Ostraja from Sosnovka

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 53.07000°N / 158.11000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, in winter basic snow/ski climb
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: most of it just walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This route starts in the village of Sosnovka, and it is the shortest route to Ostraja sopka. To Sosnovka you can get by bus, van (in whole Russia so-called "marsrutka"), or by a taxi.

Route Description


From Sosnovka follow the road, marked in violet colour - route 2 in the map, and turn right on the first crossroad. On the right embark of Topolovyj stream you continue to the peak. If you take a taxi from Elizovo, you can continue on this road from Sosnovka up to the village Apchalalaj, where a museum of former Kamchatka's inhbatitans is set up (among them Korjaky, Itelmeni, Eveni, Chukchi, and Aleuty). A pagan celebration connected with the end of fishing season and harvest takes place every October there. From Apchalalaj just follow the footpath on the right embark of Topolovyj stream to its source and reach the summit that's just near above.

Ostraja sopka map

Essential Gear


In last part of the route you need crampoons, avalanche safety equipment, and probably ice-axe during the winter. During the summer only troubles with free stones near the summit.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.