Aether 60

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Aether 60
Manufacturer Osprey
Page By ncfitton
Page Type Jan 11, 2004 / Jan 11, 2004
Object ID 970
Hits 6672
Vote
This is the pack that spawned our innovative Ethereal suspension. The Aether 60 offers you nearly 4000 cubic inches of capacity in a 3.5-pound package. Its unique design features the Ethereal suspension, (but without framsheet and stay for weight reduction), a sewn-in hipbelt, the adjustable IsoForm harness, internal peripheral composite struts, built-in mesh side and front pockets, and Excessory capability.



-Extendible lid and skirt accommodates overloads

-Delrin® reinforced headcup

-Front pocket offers quick access to shovel, jacket, etc.

-Improved IsoForm harness

-Peripheral composite rods with foam backpanel

-Sleeping pad straps

-Ski and ice axe loops

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

ncfitton - Jan 11, 2004 11:57 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Ultralight pack that carries up to 35lbs no problems. The suspension and harness are super comfortable but like all packs it would still be a fit dependant choice.

I love no frills. Top load with a single top pocket, nothing can go wrong. I fit my down bag, thermarest, clothes and food, etc... inside. There are loops and straps for crampons, snow shovel, ice tools, etc.. I've used them all on this pack and they all work as advertised. Buckles for a tent on top. Straps for a foam pad underneath but not long enough for a full lenth RidgeRest or similar.

Cranks right down to a daypack or summit pack with the straightjacket straps. Great idea and great implementation.

Comfortable, indestructible, lightweight, weatherproof pack.

Misha - Sep 6, 2005 7:55 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Simply put, I LOVE this pack. I purchased it so I can take 2-3 day backpacking trips and reuse the same pack for technical excursions (as a day pack). It does both jobs very well. The patented waist belt system is very comfortable and convenient; IMHO much better than other packs. The pack has narrow profile which helps while rock climbing, especially in chimneys.
It carries very well with full load. I am pretty sure that I carried over 50lb in it on several occasions

rayray - May 28, 2007 6:02 pm - Voted 5/5

This pack is a "can't miss"!!
Just used my Aether 60 for the first time with a 45# load over 14 miles round trip. The trek involved 2,500' elevation gain and considerable snow with postholing. The comfort level of this pack is absolutely first-rate. I could (and did) wear this pack literally all day without feeling the need to take it off for a rest. Standing still on level ground, it felt almost like I wasn't wearing a pack at all. It is actually more comfortable that my Stratos 40 with a lighter load. Straps at the bottom work great for a sleeping bag in a stuff sack and a 3L/100 oz. Camelbak reservoir will fit in the internal hydration sleeve. There was no water intrusion in the pack after being exposed to the wx overnight during a storm. Not sure how much abuse it can stand up to, but the workmanship seems to be outstanding.

BLT - Aug 16, 2007 7:26 pm - Hasn't voted

simple and efficient
I am 6'5", 195 lbs. and have the 2005 Aether 60 tall model. When I first got it, I felt a bit inferior to my friends with their external frame multi-pocket packs. I was jealous that they had so much room for everything and such easy access to it. Finally I perfected the art of loading the Aether. All my stuff fits inside: bag, tent, then clothes and finally the bear canister. All the little stuff goes in the top pocket or one of the three elastic nettings on the outside (two of which are the size of water bottles). Its modest size will keep you from taking too many non-essentials -- whether that is good or bad is up to you to interpret. Once in place, the top pocket rides a couple inches below the top of my head and does not inhibit movement. The belt system works great once the shoulder strap height is adjusted (using the hidden velcro sheet in front of the main pocket). If this is not done right, you may experience pain in the middle back. Once you are loaded and on the trail, you will be the envy of your friends with their bulky aluminum rectangles.

Rick Huff - Aug 26, 2008 5:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Comfort found!
I've had a lot of packs over the past 35 years of hiking and climbing and this is the most comfortable weekend size pack I've found. I've used it on summits in the Cascades and Canadian Rockies and been impressed by the stability on varied terrain. It's half the weight of my Arcteryx pack...which saves wear and tear on my body. It's a well designed way to carry gear into the alpine world.

phoxtrot - Nov 20, 2009 1:10 pm - Voted 5/5

Great customer service
I recently contacted Osprey regarding a used Aether. They told me right up front "We don't care if it's used or new, the Osprey almighty Guarentee follows the pack forever!"

The warranty is:
Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a quality repair on your pack, we will happily replace it. We proudly stand behind this guarantee, so much so that it bears the signature of company founder and head designer, Mike Pfotenhauer.
They also said they would make every effort it have it repaired and on it's way back in 2 weeks.

I am impressed, I truly thought customer service was a thing of the past!!!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6