AFS 8000

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title AFS 8000
Manufacturer ASOLO
Page By mtselman
Page Type Oct 1, 2003 / Oct 1, 2003
Object ID 826
Hits 19929
Vote
Suitable for altitudes over 5000 m, winter and ice climbing.

Asolo-Vibram sole presents a low profile for a better comfort and a design with an excellent grip suitable on all the terrains. It grants a perfect grip on the rocks. It is highly abrasion resistant and the Shock Absorber is in the heel to mitigate the high impact areas on the foot.


Shell Pebax shore D 55
Asoframe Pebax shore D 65
Shell reinforcement Carbon fiber
Inner shoe 7 layers for waterproof, heat and comfort - Thinsulate lining
Inner lining Velveteen + Thinsulate 150 gr.
Sole Vibram Nilgiri dual density
Fit MM
Size 5-13 UK
Weight gr. 1200 (1/2 pair size 8)
Code 0M4002 562 black/yellow


Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Diego SahagĂșn - Jan 26, 2004 8:30 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is a pair of very good and light mountaineering boots, made for high altitude climbs, from the Alps to the Himalayas. It's also suitable for ice climbing though I've never tested it on falls. It's very warm, even if you wear thin socks your feet doesn't become cold when climbing in freezing temperatures. Thus, this boot is not recommended for low altitudes or not cold temperatures. The Vibram sole grips very well on all types of grounds. The inner shoe is very wam as I said before and has two quickly fit straps. The shell is hard enough and the inner tying is easy to do because you can use an appendage of the tongue in order to cord tie it. The outer cord is the traditional system of the mountaineering boots.

The unique contra that I've figured is that, as many ASOLO boots, they are not comfortable for wide last users.


gato - Dec 22, 2004 6:48 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is a great boot from a great company. The shell is durable, warm, and light, and the liner is easy to get in and out of the boot when you need to dry it out . The liner also makes a nice "chillin'" boot when you're taking a rest day on a glacier. They are super warm, although it is possible to lace them a little too tightly since there are two sets of laces (inner and outer). When used with overboots, I think you can take these to any summit on the planet. They have worked extremely well for me in temps down to -40F.



These also excel at vertical ice; because they are so stiff, you get great sticks with your crampons and a nice platform to stand on while fiddling with screws/slings/etc.



Cons:

They are a very stiff boot; there is virtually no flex in the ankle. This can make long flat approaches very tedious if not downright painful. The volume is best for low/mid volume feet. People with really wide feet (like me) will find that the toe box squeezes a little bit.

RModelli - Sep 18, 2005 10:56 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Too stiff on the ankles, very warm and very good fit ofr someone with narrow (low volume) feet.



The double lacing system allows you to customize the fit really well.

It however did not fit me well at all, I have wide feet.

tico - Oct 21, 2005 12:14 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
As I have low volume feet I had very hard time finding perfect boots. I use them extensively in ice climbing but even tough they are very stiff and hard I would still say that (for me) they perform perfectly fine in approaches - even in rocky terrain.



Besides of this - they seem to be perfectly warm, at least till around -30/-35C.

neghafi - Dec 29, 2008 4:16 am - Hasn't voted

Warm
I've bought a pair some days ago and I've tested them in [url=http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34819&start=60]Damavand at this winter[/url]

They are warm in extereme cold weather.

sroot - Apr 8, 2016 1:28 am - Hasn't voted

Great boots
I got these for a steal on eBay and used them to climb Pico de Orizaba with.. It got down a little below zero degrees (Fahrenheit) and I was never the slightest bit cold with these boots on. The dexterity isn't ideal for anything super technical, but for a glacier climb they performed great with crampons. I definitely plan on using them for plenty of future climbs!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6