Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Sep 29, 2003 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hardcore: I read all of January and February. I finish it by next week. Good stuff. 4 stars for the AT in winter. You should put a couple of photos on this page because they are good.



I once dreamed of doing a thru hike. I hiked small sections of it in the '70s both in PA, GA, and NC. I can't remember the sections, though, because I was a kid in the Boy Scouts. Even up to about three years ago, I was planning a thru hike when I retire in 6 years. But since I started climbing mountains three years ago, backpacking seems like more of a pain-in-the-ass way to get to the mountain than something fun to do. As a result, my interest in the AT has waned. However, one thing climbing has done is taught me to lighten my pack to make room for ropes, rack, etc. I've read a couple of AT books lately and some of your story which is starting to motivate me again. It is still a goal of mine.........not in winter though. :)



Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you on your journey. Springer is a nice addition to this site.

big_g

big_g - Sep 29, 2003 8:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks a lot. My plan is to rescan a bunch of pics from my 4 albums and get them online. Now that I finished uploading my most recent pics, I guess I have no excuse now!



The AT is a serious commitment to be sure. :) If my AT journal hasn't rekindled the fire in you, perhaps you may be interested in my 211 mile John Muir Trail approach to Mt. Whitney. Also done in early season. I guess I am a slow learner.

http://www.restlessadventurer.net/backpacking/john_muir_trail/jmt_intro.php



Cheers!

Hardcore

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Sep 29, 2003 8:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Any plans for the Continental Divide Trail?

big_g

big_g - Sep 29, 2003 8:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Of course! CDT, PCT, CT, AZT, ADT, LT, NCT, IAT and those are just the ones in the US. There's a lifetime of trekking ahead of me. I'd like to be the 3rd worldwalker too but I haven't started planning that one out. Well, not too seriously anyway.

big_g

big_g - Sep 29, 2003 9:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You motivated me to get some of those pictures online tonight. Not my best work by a long shot though.

desainme

desainme - Nov 28, 2003 5:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good thing you have taken the time to make this page. It sure brings the Appalachian trail into perspective by having both ends at SP.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 21, 2004 11:34 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page. Could use a few more photos, but decent. Good to see this significant peak included now.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Springer Mountain' main page