Pawnee Pass Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.06700°N / 105.638°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up with a short scamper at the end
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at the Long Lake Trailhead. Hike along the north shores of Long Leke until you reach Lake Isabelle. Stop to take in the views and then look sharp for the abrupt turn (it is signed) onto the Pawnee Pass Trail. If you find yourself continueing along the north shores of Lake Isabelle you have gone to far. Follow the excellent Pawnee Pass Trail up switchbacks and gentle terraine to the open Pawnee Pass (marked by a large sign). It is time to leave the trail.

Route Description


From Pawnee Pass go south (to the left if you aproached the pass from the east) up large talus until the ridge levels out. At this point Shoshoni Peak is bordered on the west by cliffs, so don't wander too far west! Once the ridge levels out just follow the gently undulating grass slopes towards the visable rock outcrop to the south. Shoshoni Peaks suprise rock tower involves walking up a short ramp and then scampering up the summit rocks. The view from the top is firts rate. Return the way you came. As a side note my dogs did just fine on this mountain but they didn't make it onto the final summit tower.

Essential Gear


This route if done in the summer is quite moderate in its requirements. Bring adaquate clothing, food, and water. Don't forget bad things can happen on "easy" mountains. There are cliffs in the area and low visability could bring you face to face with them.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Oct 19, 2012 5:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Some additional photos

Hi Jon, I've attached to this page a few photos that I feel illustrate the route well, particularly the last little bit to the summit. Feel free to use them in the page content if you wish. Sarah

JonBradford

JonBradford - Oct 31, 2012 2:11 am - Hasn't voted

Shoshoni Peak

I re-climbed Shoshoni again this August as well. It is a scenic mountain. I will try and update the page. Your photos are nice (as always). Happy climbing. If you have an interest I submit photos more regularly for friends and family to Facebook, if you are on it please look me up. Jon

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.