Peak 1540 ft, Whipple Mountains, CA

Peak 1540 ft, Whipple Mountains, CA

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.37457°N / 114.2876°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1540 ft / 469 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rank: Peak 1540 ft is California’s 10198th highest ranked Peak

Prominence: 400 ft

 

 

This is an obscure peak that rises in the Whipple Mountains of southeast California on the western shores of Lake Havasu. No trail goes to or near its summit. By looking at Google Earth and topo maps, I was able to come up with a scenic route that took me through the spectacular Dynamite Canyon and then up the slopes of Peak 1540 ft to reach its summit where I had great views of Lake Havasu and other nearby desert peaks. A nameless arch on the summit, added to the allure of the peak.

 

Dynamite Canyon is 0.75 miles long and has a wide gravely bottom making it somewhat popular with those who like to 4-wheel drive in the area. A big cave sits at the southwestern end of the canyon.

 

Peak 1540 ft from the summit of Peak 2822 ft
Peak 1540 ft from the summit of Peak 2822 ft

Getting There

From Parker, Arizona, cross the bridge over Colorado River into California. Get on Parker Dam Road and drive 15.5 miles north to just south of Parker Dam (From Lake Havasu City, Arizona, you could drive south on Route 95 and cross the river into California over Parker Dam. The dam is closed from 11 PM to 5 AM, check times online since it might change).

 

Get on Trail End Camp Road and drive 6.2 miles to a split in the road. Right remains paved and goes to Black Meadow Landing. Left becomes dirt and is the continuation of Trail End Camp Road. Turn left and drive 5.8 miles to the start of Dynamite Canyon where there is plenty of room to park (after 2.1 miles, a rougher road branches on the left, stay right). On the day that I did my drive, the road appeared not all that rough making me think that under dry conditions, any high clearance vehicle should be able to make it although I would not drive it in anything less than an SUV.

 

 

Route/Trip Report

Elevation at starting Point: 560 ft

Summit Elevation: 1540 ft

Roundtrip Hiking Distance: 3.6 miles

 

February 12, 2024

Left the vacation rental house in Big River, California around 6:00 AM (sunrise 6:30). In the back of my mind, I was wondering if I would run into difficulties during this hike since I had not seen any info about Peak 1540 ft anywhere. I was going solely based on what I had seen on Google Earth. While driving on Trail End Camp Road, I got good views of Peak 1860 ft (1752 ft figure on USGS Map). It was reflecting nicely on the hood of my rental Jeep.

 

Peak 1860 ft from Trail End Camp Road
Peak 1860 ft from Trail End Camp Road

 

Parked at the start of Dynamite Canyon. Elevation was 560 ft. Started my hike at 7:05 AM. I knew that I might run into four-wheel drivers in that canyon, but no one was there at that hour, and I did not see anyone while hiking. View at the start of the canyon with Peak 1500 ft (different peak than Peak 1540 ft) on the right side.

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Headed southwest into the canyon.

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

 

 

Looking back at Point 940 ft.

 

Point 940 ft from Dynamite Canyon
Point 940 ft from Dynamite Canyon

 

Inside Dynamite Canyon.

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

 

The canyon soon opened. I went on top of a rock and took these photos.

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Cave at the southwestern end of Dynamite Canyon.

 

Cave in Dynamite Canyon
Cave in Dynamite Canyon

 

The slopes of Peak 1540 ft finally came to view. I was glad to see that they did not look hard.

 

Slopes of Peak 1540 ft
Slopes of Peak 1540 ft

 

Got on the black rock slopes and began to go up. Once I went past a steep rocky area, the slopes eased up quite a bit.

 

Slopes of Peak 1540 ft
Slopes of Peak 1540 ft

 

Looking at Peak 1500 ft. A part of Lake Havasu had come to view as well.

 

Peak 1500 ft and Lake Havasu
Peak 1500 ft and Lake Havasu

 

How does the vegetation on that slope survive the summer months when the average high is 110 degrees F? Direct sunlight on the black rock is bound to make the ground much hotter.

 

Cupcake Mountain
Cupcake Mountain

 

Reached the beautiful summit at 8:28 AM and 1.81 miles.

Looking southeast toward Peak 2833 ft.

 

Peak 2833 ft
Peak 2833 ft

 

View southwest to the peak known as Cupcake. Whipple Mountains High Point on the far right.

 

Cupcake Mountain, Whipple Mountains High Point far right
Cupcake Mountain, Whipple Mountains High Point far right

 

Looking north at Lake Havasu and Lake Havasu City. Crossman Peak seen.

 

Lake Havasu and Lake Havasu City
Lake Havasu and Lake Havasu City

 

Lake Havasu and Lake Havasu City
Lake Havasu and Lake Havasu City

 

Looking east.

 

Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu

 

Looking southeast. Peak 1500 ft in front.

 

Peak 1500 ft
Peak 1500 ft

 

Nameless arch at the summit.

 

Arch on the summit of Peak 1540 ft
Arch on the summit of Peak 1540 ft

 

After eating and enjoying the views, I left at 9:05 AM retracing my way back down the mountain.

 

Peak 1500 ft
Peak 1500 ft
Peak 1860 ft
Peak 1860 ft

 

Peak 1500 ft
Peak 1500 ft

 

Dynamite Canyon and its cave again.

 

Dynamite Canyon and its cave on the left
Dynamite Canyon and its cave on the left

 

A look back at Peak 1540 ft.

 

Peak 1540 ft, southeast face
Peak 1540 ft, southeast face

 

Back in Dynamite Canyon again.

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Dynamite Canyon

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Point 940 ft from Dynamite Canyon
Point 940 ft from Dynamite Canyon

 

 

Reached my Jeep at 10:26 AM and 3.60 miles.

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

Dynamite Canyon
Dynamite Canyon

 

 

 

As I was getting ready to drive away, a train of 8 Jeeps appeared driving up Dynamite Canyon. I drove a short distance down the road toward Havasu Palms until the northeastern face of Peak 1540 ft came to view.

 

Peak 1540 ft, northeast face
Peak 1540 ft, northeast face

Red Tape

No fees or permits.

When to Climb

Winter is the best time to climb. Summer can get deadly hot. Even spring and fall might be too hot. 

 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Whipple MountainsMountains & Rocks