Peak 2860 (2833) ft, Whipple Mtns, CA

Peak 2860 (2833) ft, Whipple Mtns, CA

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.32897°N / 114.26615°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2833 ft / 863 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Note About Elevation: The USGS Map puts contour lines of 2840-2880 ft for the elevation of the highest point of this peak and writes an exact value of 2833 ft a short distance to the southeast. Caltopo Maps gives an exact value of 2720 ft where the USGS says 2840-2880. 

 

Rank: Peak 2860 ft is California' s 7679th highest ranked peak

Prominenece: 1400 ft

 

 

Peak 2833 ft sits in the Whipple Mountains of southeastern California near Lake Havasu. Rising higher than many of its surrounding mountains, the top of Peak 2833 ft can provide you with fantastic views of Lake Havasu and other nearby desert peaks.

 

The northeastern face of Peak 2833 ft is made of sheer cliffs that are more than 500 feet tall. No trail goes to or near Peak 2833 ft. Despite that, I was able to reach the summit via a class II walkup hike. The hike, however, required route finding through a meandering maze of small canyons.

 

Peak 2833 ft
Peak 2833 ft

Getting There

From Parker, Arizona, cross the bridge over Colorado River into California. Get on Parker Dam Road and drive 15.5 miles north to just south of Parker Dam (From Lake Havasu City, Arizona, you could drive south on Route 95 and cross the river into California over Parker Dam. The dam is closed from 11 PM to 5 AM, check hours online since it might change).

 

Get on Trail End Camp Road and drive 6.2 miles to a split in the road. Right remains paved and goes to Black Meadow Landing. Left becomes dirt and is the continuation of Trail End Camp Road. Turn left and drive 1.9 miles to a nonspecific area at the bottom of a dry desert wash, GPS Coordinates: 34 deg, 20.066 min North, 114 deg, 14.768 min West. There is no place to park at that spot, I was however able to squeeze my rental Jeep into a safe spot at the turn. The dirt road surface appeared smooth and passable by most high clearance vehicles under dry conditions.

 

Route/Trip Report

Elevation at starting Point: 1195 ft

Summit Elevation: 2833 ft

Roundtrip Distance: 5.39 miles.

Total Ascent per my GPS: 1804 ft

 

 

February 11, 2024

Left the vacation rental house in Big River, California at 6:05 AM (sunrise around 6:30). Drove to near Parker Dam and got on Trail End Camp Road and then the dirt road that went to Havasu Palms. By looking at satellite photos, topo maps and Google Earth, I had entered my chosen hiking path into my GPS. The hike started at a nonspecific dry desert wash. Once I reached my starting point, I noted that there was no place to park. Fortunately, the road was wide, and I was able to squeeze my rental Jeep into a safe spot at a 90 degree turn in the road. No one was there and I did not see anyone all day long. Temperature was in the mid-40s degrees F and the high later reached low 60s.

 

Started my hike at 7:05 AM. Elevation was 1195 ft. Peak 2833 ft was well visible to the southwest.

 

Peak 2833 ft
Peak 2833 ft

 

Began hiking the bottom of a dry desert wash that formed a mini canyon. My peak soon went out of view. I knew that I would eventually need to exit the canyon. Reached what looked like a well-established beaten path that exited the canyon, so I followed it a short distance getting out of the canyon onto an open area where the peak came into view again. The path faded away.

 

Peak 2833 ft
Peak 2833 ft

 

GPS showed that I was off my chosen path, so I found a way down to the bottom of the canyon.

 

Losing site of the peak again, I relied on my GPS to guide me the right way where the canyon branched. Fortunately, did not come across any obstacles. There were a couple of dry waterfalls that I could easily walk up.

 

In the canyon
In the canyon
Dry waterfall
Dry waterfall

 

 

The canyon opened and I was then hiking up the slopes toward a series of cliffs. I knew that there would be a walkway below the cliffs that would allow me to go to the back side of the mountain, but I could not see it and was hoping that it would not turn out to be a nasty slope.

 

Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft

 

Looking back at the drainage that I had climbed. A glimpse of Lake Havasu had appeared, and I could also see Peaks 2056 ft, 1990 ft and 2037 ft.

 

Peaks 2056 ft, 1990 ft and 2037 ft plus Lake Havasu
Peaks 2056 ft, 1990 ft and 2037 ft plus Lake Havasu

 

I was relieved to finally see an easy slope below the cliffs that allowed me to head south and then west to go behind (the west face of) the mountain. Looking at the cliffs behind me (this is not the easy slope).

 

Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft

 

Copper Basin reservoir from the walkway below the cliffs.

 

Copper Basin Reservoir
Copper Basin Reservoir

 

On the west face of the mountain, I remained below the ridgetop and avoided all difficulties. Found myself in a beautiful cactus garden.

 

Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft
Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft
Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft
Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft
Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft
Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft

 

Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft
Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft

 

 

Near the summit, the color of the rock turned from black to red. At first, I mistook this spot for the summit.

 

False summit
False summit

 

Then I reached what looked like a plateau with the true summit rising above it as a rocky hill.

 

Summit of Peak 2833 ft
Summit of Peak 2833 ft
Summit of Peak 2833 ft
Summit of Peak 2833 ft

 

Reaching the edge of the plateau, I was blown away by the spectacular view of the northeastern wall of the summit.

 

Summit of Peak 2833 ft and it big wall
Summit of Peak 2833 ft and it big wall

 

Reached the summit at 9:41 AM and 2.63 miles of hiking.

Looking east/northeast at Lake Havasu. Peaks 2037 ft, 1713 ft and 1715 ft seen.

 

Peaks 2037 ft, 1713 ft & 1715 ft plus Lake Havasu
Peaks 2037 ft, 1713 ft & 1715 ft plus Lake Havasu

 

Looking southeast at Gene Wash and Copper Basin Reservoirs. Peak 2056 ft on the extreme left of the picture.

 

Gene Wash & Copper Basin Reservoirs plus Peak 2056 ft far left
Gene Wash & Copper Basin Reservoirs plus Peak 2056 ft far left

 

Looking south at Monument Peak and Gene wash Reservoir.

 

Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir
Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir

 

Peak 2922 ft to the southwest.

 

Peak 2922 ft
Peak 2922 ft

 

Looking northwest at the 2720 ft subpeak.

 

Subpeak 2720 ft
Subpeak 2720 ft

 

Lake Havasu and Crossman Peak in the far distance to the northeast.

 

Lake Havasu and the distant Crossman Peak
Lake Havasu and the distant Crossman Peak

 

Ate, enjoyed the views, called my wife and left around 10 AM retracing the path I had climbed. The area was just so beautiful.

 

Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir
Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir
Peak 2056 ft and Lake Havasu
Peak 2056 ft and Lake Havasu
Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir
Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir

 

Monument Peak
Monument Peak

 

A little lower.

 

False summit of Peak 2833 ft
False summit of Peak 2833 ft

 

Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir
Monument Peak and Copper Basin Reservoir

 

Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft
Below the summit of Peak 2833 ft

 

From the walkway below the cliffs.

 

Peaks 2056 ft, 2037 ft and 1990 ft
Peaks 2056 ft, 2037 ft and 1990 ft

 

View of the cliffs again.

 

Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs of Peak 2833 ft
Cliffs and the distant Crossman Peak
Cliffs and the distant Crossman Peak

 

 

Continuing down the slopes.

 

Looking back at cliffs
Looking back at cliffs
Peak 1990 ft
Peak 1990 ft

Reached my Jeep at 12:21 PM. Looking back at Peak 2833 ft.

 

Peak 2833 ft from the starting point
Peak 2833 ft from the starting point

Red Tape

No fees or permits.

When to Climb

Winter is the best time to climb. Summer is dangerously hot. Even fall and spring can get hot. 

 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Whipple MountainsMountains & Rocks