1 week in the Sierra's

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
emiller1

1 week in the Sierra's

by emiller1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:47 am

I may have an opportunity in early September to spend 7 days in the Sierra. I was looking for some suggestions to provide a "taste of the Sierra". I want to visit both Yosemite and Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP perhaps spend 2 nights in the backcountry and enjoy a couple nice Class 3 scrambles. Thanks in advance for the advice.

goldenhopper

Re: 1 week in the Sierra's

by goldenhopper » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:11 am

Have you ever been to the Sierra before? Do you want to inlcude the mainstream stuff in your trip like Yosemite Valley (half Dome), Tulomne, the Giant Forest, etc or would you rather be completely off the beaten path?

emiller1

by emiller1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I have never been to the Sierra and it could be a long time until I have another chance to go. I would like to include some of the more mainstream things like Yosemite Valley.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Yosemite & Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks are not that close unless tou want to spend most of your time in a car.In September ,I think that you should consider Tuolumne Meadows as a base for scrambles there and in Yosemite Valley .There are some grand trails up & down to the Valley and shuttles and YART can be combined with round-trip hikes that are a lot more more interesting than driving. You can hike to Half Dome, North Dome, the top of Yosemite Falls ,and to the Valley with a day pack . There are Giant Sequoia in the Mariposa,Tuolumne ,and Merced Groves . You will be able to do a lot more in seven days . You can do something like this : park or get dropped off at Porcupine Creek trailhead for North Dome ,hike to its summit for the wonderful view of Half Dome & Tenaya Canyon,follow the climber descent trail to North Dome Gully for the third class direct descent to the Valley . There are usually other people .You are almost in the Ahwahnee Hotel parking lot ,& should go in use the restroom and get a drink at the patio . Take the free Valley shuttle to the Visitors Center and check Tuolumne and YART schedule for your return to Tuolumne Meadows .A regular signed trial alternate is to hike from North Dome to the top of Yosemite Falls and down to the Valley.

Osterizer

by Osterizer » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Also, check this thread out for Yosemite:
yosemite-advice-t61765.html

obsidian

by obsidian » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 pm

EMILLER1,
One week isn't really enough to see the whole High Sierra,...especially if you want to see the best of both Yosemite and Sequoia/King's Canyon. You'll be on the road all the time,...and, probably on the west side, where all the crowds are.
I would suggest selecting just one area and backpacking in for a week.
The area encompased by the High Sierra (typically considered to be that area that the John Muir Trail runs through,...about 200 miles in length) is really huge. You might read through this page: John Muir Wilderness

ROL

by ROL » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 am

Palisades79 wrote:Yosemite & Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks are not that close unless tou want to spend most of your time in a car.

I think that overstates the case quite a bit. All it involves is a half day driving from one to the other, with a stop in F'berg (or Bishop, east) for lunch or more provisions. For that matter, a 7 day walk along the crest would do it.

Return to California