13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:57 pm

mconnell wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:Let's see . . . 13 years old; that's middle school. So there is no homework (unless you're a nerd :lol: ), but that's still about 5 hours of class time 5 days a week (ignoring phys. ed., of course). There is no amount of homework this kid could possibly bring with him (and actually work on during the expedition :roll: ) that would even make up for a fraction of the academic class time lost!

There's no amount of school work he could take with him that would touch on what he could learn on a trip like that. He will probably learn more during those couple of months than in a couple of years of school. I know that my son learned more in the semester "out of school" (when he was 13) than he learned during any year of school.

There are more, and better, ways to learn than listening to a teacher talk.

That's what 10 weeks off during the summer are for.

The "education" of an expedition climb may be a good one, but it is only something that can supplement an academic education, not replace part of it. So these kinds of trips, if taken, should be such that they don't take away from school.

When I was a kid, I also did many things, saw many things, and learned a lot. I traveled plenty, on family vacations several weeks long. But I didn't take off 8 weeks from school to do it.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:we should pray

good luck with that.

+1 :lol:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:we should pray

good luck with that.

Before the fate of the hikers was known that were up on Shasta. Then knowing one was
still up on the mountain and so many here on SP sent out their prayer's for these guys on a thread, did you have that same sarcastic view?
Last edited by Marmaduke on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Whoa, this thread escalated to 11 pages?! Let the boy climb his mountain already :lol:

Lolli

by Lolli » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:11 pm

knoback wrote:
MikeTX wrote:
knoback wrote:Ah, the post-page 3 degeneration, it is as reliable as gravity. This high altitude slog stuff is all about physiology and bull-headedness, so a 13 y.o. boy may be uniquely qualified for such a task. Whether it's reasonable or not depends on the execution. This is true of any climbing activity, though. We shall see, eh? I guess I don't see how it's inherently that big a deal one way or another. Now if a 13 y.o. leads Andromeda Strain or Birdbrain Blvd., that would be noteworthy. :wink:

you forgot to call us idiots.

Sorry. You idiots. If you don't want to die horribly and burn in hell, you will listen to me and me alone as I am he who knows what's up. (Forgot I was on the internets there for a moment. I'm snapped back to reality now, thanks Mike)

:lol:

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Lolli wrote:or he'll be gone, as soon as an elf reads Bad Submissions.
And maybe the original avatar too.
Threads dealing with mountains shall stay. Trolls shan't be able to destroy.

That sounds like a challenge to certain members.

RE: the OP, I've got mixed feelings about the kid on Everest. Part of me says "WTF!? He can climb an 8,000 meter peak and I'm not even allowed to drink a beer!?" The other part thinks that if he's got the physical capacity and technical training/experience, go for it.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 pm

woodsxc wrote:He can climb an 8,000 meter peak and I'm not even allowed to drink a beer!?"

Sure you can ;) :D

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:12 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:
Patrick B wrote:

2)Please find me a picture of one person getting hauled up mt. Everest. There are hundreds of people attempting to summit during weather windows. If there was someone getting a piggy back ride there owuld be 100s of pictures and stories about it online, who would consent to that emberassment in order to get to the top?

2)

Are you serious? Don' take everything literally! If YOU would have done your research, you would have known that nearly every year ameteurs go up this mountain with Sherpas hauling all their gear. Sure, they carry a pack and an ice axe, but the Sherpas carry one or two packs each in ragtag boots and clothes.

ka-bam! :twisted:
patb

I don't see a problem with that. Porters and mules are parts of any commercial expedition. On summit day everyone carries what they personally need. And whoever makes it has my respect.

So 1993 the deadliest year is the BEST in your opinion? Is that sarcasm? ( i hope )

I only wish to say that sarcasm is not in play at all here. Here's a great example from mntEverest.net:

Best and Worst Years on Everest:
1993, 129 summitted and eight died (a ratio of 16:1); in 1996, 98 summitted and 15 died (a ratio of 6½:1)

I hope you enjoyed reading that.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:52 am

Best and Worst Years on Everest:
1993, 129 summitted and eight died (a ratio of 16:1); in 1996, 98 summitted and 15 died (a ratio of 6½:1)

I hope you enjoyed reading that.

I don't care for those odds, in regards to playing with my life. I understand for some, hey everyone walks their own walk. But we are also talking about a 13 year old boy.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 am

There is a significant correlation between global warming and the number of deaths on Everest each year. Don't deny it.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:15 am

MoapaPk wrote:There is a significant correlation between global warming and the number of deaths on Everest each year. Don't deny it.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Is that on the www.mnteverest.net webpage, or where can this information be found?

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:17 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:There is a significant correlation between global warming and the number of deaths on Everest each year. Don't deny it.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Is that on the www.mnteverest.net webpage, or where can this information be found?

Well, either global warming or a conspiracy of the MLC SC :wink:

billisfree

by billisfree » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 am

That's a misleading statistic... the correct value to use is the number of deaths divided by the number who SERIOSLY ATTEMPTED the summit.

If one used the number that actually summited, one is getting a skewed figure.

Imagine... 200 people attempt, one makes it and one dies. That's a 50% fatality rate.

The correct value in this case should be odds of making it (0.5%)

and the odds of dying (0.5%)

colinr

by colinr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:
Dave Dinnell wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

Well, either global warming or a conspiracy of the MLC SC :wink:

I bet it's the mighty MLC SC! Just like back in the day!

Fearing diminishing water supplies in Southern California as global warming creates a perpetual drought, the DWA purchased a one square mile parcel of land blocking the route that Jordan Romero had planned to take up Everest. It will be guarded by MLC SC militia members and Shaolin monks. Maybe if The Chief leads the party we can kick some a** and help Jordan make it through without changing plans. He and I could bring along some reformed ganstas to help clear a path. If we make it, my school district might appove a field trip to Everest next year for a real learning experience.

Honest, I dreamt it all up while watching reality TV on Easter on my new SPOT satellite television messenger as I sat on top of Denali with my two year old and seven month old in a hot tub....maybe I'm not remembering things correctly because I didn't bring enough of those TruO2 personal oxygen products. Will I be saved on judgement day if I turn to Buddhism and encourage students to pledge allegiance to one nation under Allah? :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to News