13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:41 pm

There you go, here's a mature 13y old for ya :D

Apex

by Apex » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:34 am

I agree with Patrick on this. I'm glad for the kid and that his parents are actually supporting his dream, and, like Patrick said, realize his potential. I think that if Jordan does this right, he could raise money for research of some sort, rather than just do it for self benefit.

However, he is a bit too young for this stuff. I hope him and his parents realize that its their lives on the line. And he should be climbing for the fun of it, not to set/break any records. There's always going to be other people that will do that. And, if he does make it, whats next? A nine year old going up?

At some point you have to call it quits before it just gets too ridiculous.

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:54 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:I think we live in a free country for a reason..all of us have a choice. I don't think his parents dragged him up other mountains, and no one would be able to drag him up Everest. I think this kid is doing it because he found his passion earlier than others.
He is under 18, and if his parents approve it I AM ALL FOR IT! It is not his first high altitude climb. Back in Ukraine (where I am from) and even in my homeland (in USA) some kids start smoking cigarrettes/weed and doing other drugs by the time they are 10, it is considered cool in their circles. I would rather have role models like this kid around. Running to get your soccer ball across the street can end your life, if he understands the consequences of his actions/his parents understand they should be able to do it without any negative judgment from people who can only dream about accomplishing something this big.
I admit I am jealous, and wish him to succeed.
Climbing Everest takes a lot more than $. IMHO

Sure, he is a great role model. However, Everest is a step beyond his physical ability. While it hasn't been proven, children are underdeveloped (I don't know how I know this at 13) and are therefore not as physically or mentally prepared for the challenges he is about to face. It's more or less a suicide mission by a kid who doesn't know exactly what he's getting himself into. Sure, he loves climbing. Everyone on this site LOVES climbing a lot as well. But not everyone on this site takes risks that have more than a 75%(?) chance he will die or be hauled up that freakin mountain with severe consequences.

Sure, he could climb all these other mountains which is amazing. However, these mountains were around 2 miles lower than the summit of Everest and even full grown adults are worn out at 21,000 ft. How can he expect himself to be a self-sufficient climber on Everest? Sure, he wants to beat the record, but is a record worth a life?

Edit: patb

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:09 am

On a side note, is there any scientific evidence that climbing that high at young age can be more harmful than being a full grown adult?

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:14 am

:oops: I'm just guessing that your lung capacity as well as your VO2 max are lower which would affect your ability to perform and make judgements at high alititude. This could therefore play at toll on you physically because your brain is recieving less oxygen and your body cannot stand as much exercise.

patb

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:29 am

What will your 13 year old kid;s grave stone read...............

Apex

by Apex » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:32 am

Interesting, I've heard that children have higher V02 max's for some reason, and as you grow older it becomes less or harder to achieve. I'd say thats certainly the case for me... I'm 16. and my V02 max is 64. Maybe I'm just lucky and was born with a high one, but my coaches say that it is because I'm younger. I'd say the worst part of being young up there will be the possible permanent brain damage that can occur at those altitudes; that could lead to problems later on possibly.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:15 am

I think that once this kid summit's, if he does and God for bid something worse happens..,.........how about 12 or 11 year olds? What a joke!!! Where do you stop?
Idiots, pure and simple. I'm sure I'm making enemies here but I don't care.

robgendreau

by robgendreau » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:49 am

I think we have to remember that the point of his climb seems to be to tick off a "youngest." BFD. Is anyone impressed by that? Or do we find it a bit creepy?

I find it especially ironic. I work in juvenile court and lately there's been a lot of buzz about a study showing that THC had some rather bad effects on kids, in part possibly because their brains are still developing. Perhaps that's an advantage: damage done due to hypoxia may be repaired more easily. Perhaps not. But if I have my kid smoke weed and hope that it doesn't hurt him because he really, really wants to do it I'm looking at jail. This seems almost that vain to me.

But I am conflicted. I also deal with kids who do risky things all the time (and not just the ones who are shooting at each other, thank you); things like crazy skiing, motocrossing, whitewater boating, etc. That doesn't bug me as much but I'm not sure why.

Rob

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:52 am

Some people mentioned that the 13-year-old wants to do this. But at what age is a child considered legally able to consent to an activity such as this? There are laws regarding the legal age of consent for sex, so even if the younger person gave full, explicit consent, the law says he or she is not old enough to legally give that consent, and the other party would be charged with a crime. So, by similar reasoning, is a 13-year-old too young to legally consent to a risky activity such as climbing Everest?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:21 am

?????????????????????????Sorry, sorrry???????????????? still haven't read anything that quantifies the decision of these "parents". oH, oh, oh but the memories he'll have....or I hope he does. Very sick

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:46 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:... Why he is doing it?

Probably for his fathers ego...

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:51 am

Neophite, what is up with the anger?
Really, tell us the story of why you want these parents in jail. Feelings like this don't usually come out of the blue. Do you have a relevant personal story that we'd all benefit from hearing?

You and Mihai need to exchange phone numbers, do some low-risk peak-bagging.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:05 am

cbcbd wrote:Neophite, what is up with the anger?
Really, tell us the story of why you want these parents in jail. Feelings like this don't usually come out of the blue. Do you have a relevant personal story that we'd all benefit from hearing?

You and Mihai need to exchange phone numbers, do some low-risk peak-bagging.

Anger, no, 'come out of the blue". no..............responsiblty, YES

PreviousNext

Return to News