13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:17 am

OK, line up, Idiots on the left, I mean pro 13 yr old hiker on the left, and, well responsible parent on the right. Sound off!!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:54 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:OK, line up, Idiots on the left, I mean pro 13 yr old hiker on the left, and, well responsible parent on the right. Sound off!!

Don't be so offensive lol
I hope you let your kids play sports

You're right, kiev098, soccer, basketball or a 90 mph fastball is the same. Football and rugby or river rafting even. My kids snow board and ski, they've body surfed in large waves in Mexico, zip-lined 200 feet above the floor. There's a difference, too bad you don't see it.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:04 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:
No, no doing mt. Hood (Bay Area) 2730 ft is a risky business..it is CLASS 1-2! Maybe in couple of years with training like this they could move up and do Mt. Tam! It even has Himalayan prayer flags on top!

Just started ASSHOLE, but check resume in October.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:29 pm

dynamokiev98 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
dynamokiev98 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:OK, line up, Idiots on the left, I mean pro 13 yr old hiker on the left, and, well responsible parent on the right. Sound off!!

Don't be so offensive lol
I hope you let your kids play sports

You're right, kiev098, soccer, basketball or a 90 mph fastball is the same. Football and rugby or river rafting even. My kids snow board and ski, they've body surfed in large waves in Mexico, zip-lined 200 feet above the floor. There's a difference, too bad you don't see it.

I am actually 100% sure there are more skiing/snowboarding fatalities a year around the world than there are mountaineering fatalities. In the resort where I had a season pass this year (Heavenly) a VERY experienced skier died this year. Maybe you should be arrested for letting your kids do this(sarcasm)?

Sorry but as Romanian I can say that your brain is clouded by mentality, ideology and indoctrination typical of countries under comunist influence. Poor boy, you're so young but so limited: The Everest is not gymnastic for pubertal children!

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:59 pm

In your opinion there is "more than 75% chance he will doe or be hauled up that freaking mountain with severe consequences.????"
1) There is a chance to die, BUT death vs summits rate since 1990 is 4.4%..Where the hell did you get 75?
2)Please find me a picture of one person getting hauled up mt. Everest. There are hundreds of people attempting to summit during weather windows. If there was someone getting a piggy back ride there owuld be 100s of pictures and stories about it online, who would consent to that emberassment in order to get to the top?

"these mountains were around 2 miles lower than the summit of Everest"
do some research before you talk please..Aconcagua (highest he has been) is 6,962 m, Everest is 8,848 M..1,886M higher. 1KM=1000M 1mile=1,609) so it is about 1mile higher.

Who are you to decide what he can or can't do? Why he is doing it?
Why did you go to mt. Washington?! A guide died there last year, how irresponsible of you to be doing things like that! Or snowboarding?! People die every year skiing/snowboarding! Why do you risk your life?
Sit at home, get some weed, and eat a burger with your buddies while watching family guy! And don't come out of your house, because if you do there is a chance to be hit by a drunk driver! Or be raped by a pedophile! So stay home and watch everything on TV! Enjoy your life!

All of us can have different opinions, but you guys can't speak for this kid. You don't know his intentions, neither do I though. But how many of you stood on top of Denali, Kilimanjaro, Elbrus and Aconcagua?

Sorry for not being super factual. And you're making connections that don't even relate to one another. There is a big difference between crossing the street and Everest. As well as skiing vs. Everest. And I'm not being super factual here. (not) my bad.

The 75% chance thing was more of a bet with myself. And about the two mile thing.... is it really that big OF A DEAL?

This kid should reconsider it. I mean, he has a right to know what he wants to do, but I think someone should tell him its a dangerous thing to do as well and not worth the record.

patb

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:00 pm

MikeTX wrote:i know there's no death zone on denali, but other than that i don't see where there's that much more risk on everest.

But doesn't everybody now accept that over 25,000 feet intelligence is impaired for some time if not forever? So it seems going into "Thin Air", if successful, would surely affect the childs schooling?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:02 pm

There is no way I'd take my 13 year old up Everest-too risky and I'd worry about possible effects on the brain, but on the other hand I don't think he would be in any more danger than the rest of the climbers up there assuming that he was in really good shape and capable.

McDonalds on a regular basis without exercise is equally dangerous. It won’t kill you as fast as Everest, but it will still kill you.

As said I wouldn’t take my kid to climb Everest. On the other hand, having a couch potato kid is even worse (especially when it gets passed down to his/her offspring).
Last edited by Scott on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Scott wrote:
OK, line up, Idiots on the left

I wouldn’t take a 13 year old up Everest either, but even so your attitude comes off as pretty arrogant. especially considering your “climbing resume”. 100 (all walk up) mountains in the next three years and you are trying to pass it off as some kind of “accomplishment”? Give us a break. That’s about even with my five year old girl and no doubt most of them were harder than many you have done. That’s my five year old though; if you compared it to my seven year old there’s no contest.

There’s nothing at wrong with being a noob, as long as the arrogance/attitude doesn’t come with it. In fact, I’m always glad to hear people (with a good attitude at least) take up climbing mountains at an older age. To set the record straight, I don't consider myself to be some expert climber either.

Anyway, check back in October; good idea. I’ll tell you what. We’ll check back in October and compare your climbing resume with the ones of my five year old girl and seven year old boy. Sounds more that fair. In fact to be even more fair and generous, I’ll post you a link so you can keep up as time goes on.

In the words of my seven year old; “Loose the ‘tude dude”.

Otherwise, see you in October for comparison. I wish you luck.

:lol:

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Scott wrote: I’ll tell you what. We’ll check back in October and compare your climbing resume with the ones of my five year old girl and seven year old boy. Sounds more that fair. In fact to be even more fair and generous, I’ll post you a link so you can keep up as time goes on. Here you go:

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object ... p-log.html

Just in case you find the above unfair, we can compare the log when they were ages 4-5 and 6-7:

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object ... p-log.html

Or ages 3-4 and 5-6:

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object ... p-Log.html

In the words of my seven year old; “Loose the ‘tude dude”.

Otherwise, see you in October for comparison. I wish you luck.

I guess from a much older perspective I can say that it can be a mistake to get too wrapped up in your kid's climbing resume, or your kid's sports achievements, or whatever. When they were 5-7, my kids did a lot of Alaska peak scrambling, faced grizzlies on uninhabited islands, climbed at Joshua Tree, squeezed through slot canyons, camped among ice floes... One became quite an accomplished climber after she left home. The other loves to shop for shoes. But they are both happy and healthy, so all is well. Some dads and moms get a little too into the list of accomplishments, though, and when that pre-teen fierceness gets all scrambled around in the teenage washing machine, they can end up so disillusioned it hurts their relationship with the kid.

Lolli

by Lolli » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:01 pm

chugach, wise words, but I think someone just got pissed off with a bad attitude

:lol:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Scott wrote:There is no way I'd take my 13 year old up Everest-too risky and I'd worry .

OK, line up, Idiots on the left

I wouldn’t take a 13 year old up Everest either, but even so your attitude comes off as pretty arrogant. especially considering your “climbing resume”. 100 (all walk up) mountains in the next three years and you are trying to pass it off as some kind of “accomplishment”? Give us a break. That’s about even with my five year old girl and no doubt most of them were harder than many you have done. That’s my five year old though; if you compared it to my seven year old there’s no contest.

There’s nothing at wrong with being a noob, as long as the arrogance/attitude doesn’t come with it. In fact, I’m always glad to hear people (with a good attitude at least) take up climbing mountains at an older age. To set the record straight, I don't consider myself to be some expert climber either.

]

With all do respect Scott, first of all you are against the 13 year old hiking but then because you don't like my wording, I'm arrogant. I would think the people who think a climbing resume with some impressive peaks on it, is needed to have an opinion on this are the arrogant ones. If Kyle Petty was going to allow his 13 year old son drive his car at Talladega for a few laps at 200 mph, would you or I need to understand what it takes to drive that car to voice an opinion? No. So you and others who want to comment on my walk up peaks that I've done thus far as if that has something to do with an opinion on a 13 year old kid hiking Everest is quite absurd. You don't have to like how I come across on this post, I really don't care. And that's not being arrogant, I have a deep. heartfelt opinion on this. If others, who know this this "father" had such a "arrogant attitude" as you call mine, just maybe this guy would have a second though of having his kid hike. After it's all done, if this kids looses fingers or toes from frost bite, it would be very sad. He has his whole life in front of him, and if the worse happens and he dies there will articles, threads, commentary everywhere, asking why did this happen? It's the passiveness on this, by some that I think is scary. Arrogant Scott, no I'm not in the least. It's arrogant to say one can't have a very strong opinion on a subject because I haven't hiked class 5 or 5.10 routes. That's arrogant.
Last edited by Marmaduke on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eferesen

by eferesen » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Live and let live

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:49 pm

CBS news video, interview with Jordan and dad:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6379055n&tag=related;photovideo

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:25 pm

For my last speech on the subject, let me paraphrase the famous quote "War is too important to be left to the generals." from the Tiger of French politics during WWI, Georges Clemenceau : Everest is a mountain too serious to let the kids play on it.

robgendreau

by robgendreau » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:26 am

Here's a thought experiment.

Remembering that Everest always gets more press than anywhere else in the climbing world, and keeping in mind the "Into Thin Air" events, picture a scenario where this child gets hurt, dies or suffers lasting effects from this climb. Can you see the crapstorm that would ensue?

Somebody quoted a 4.4% death rate. Is there anyone that can find a children's activity that has such a mortality rate?? (Perhaps children will expire at a somewhat lower rate, or maybe higher. Who knows?)

PreviousNext

Return to News