17 year old wanting to mountaineer. help!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
ellisharveyashley

17 year old wanting to mountaineer. help!

by ellisharveyashley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:26 pm

hi guys, i thought id join this forum to see if anyone could give me some advise. I've got and always have had a passion for the outdoors and i'm never ever happier than when i'm up a hill. when i was 16 i used to say i was camping out with friends when i was really treking though the peaks with my dog and the little hiking gear i had. I cant afford any climbing/hiking gear, clubs or mountaineering tuition but i just want to be at the top of a mountain.

Andrew Rankine

Re: 17 year old wanting to mountaineer. help!

by Andrew Rankine » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm 18, so I've had to work my way into the sport from a hiking background like you have. I started hiking when I was little, but I wanted to get more into technical terrain. I started doing more difficult hikes, and ones that involved scrambling. From that I was able to get more used to heights and tougher terrain. Then I began rock climbing, and learning about ropes and technical terrain. I began implementing the stuff I learned rock climbing into climbing mountains. At the same time I learned about dealing with snow/ice. Now I am implementing my rock climbing and what I have learned on snow/ice, and from that you gradually learn more and more and climb more difficult peaks.
Since you live in Sheffield, there are a lot of areas around there like the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District (and peaks you can climb with just hiking gear). If you hike more and in groups you will meet people who climb. Make it known that you are interested in getting to the next level of climbing, and people will help you. I do not know about any particular clubs in the area, but they may have outings that you could go on for free/low cost.
It is also useful to read about all of the techniques, so when you have a chance to climb you already have a clue what you are doing. I do not know about the UK offerings on such books, but I (and most people) would recommend Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills.
Good luck, and be patient. It takes time.

Edit: Once I got into rock climbing I had friends of friends introduce me to the sport. I didn't have anything besides a harness, but I accumulated gear by getting it cheap on Craigslist (but be careful buying used gear), and my friends gave me a few more used items they had like an older rope and belay device.
Last edited by Andrew Rankine on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
minimalistix

by minimalistix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Few things, find a local club for mountaineering and join. Not all of them charge large dues.

Buy 2nd hand gear, like ice axes, clothing, sleeping bags, packs off the internet, ebay, or locally. Note: I'm not talking about harnesses, ropes, biners, cams or shoes. Those should be purchased new from reputable shops, unless of course you know the person you're buying from and you trust them about how they stored the gear.

Since you're 17, get a good paying career that will let you travel. I think travel cost and getting time off are probably the most difficult thing to deal with when trying to run up large hills..err mountains.

connollyck

by connollyck » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:56 am

I remember being 18 and wanted to climb, but not having the money to afford gear. I didn't starting buying gear and mountaineering until I was 26 and had a good career. Good advice here. Buy "Freedom of the Hills" It is the best money you will ever spend. Buy gear at gear swaps/ REI used gear sale/ ebay/ gear trade/ forums. Buy Rope/ harness/ slings/ biners/ helmet new. Finding experienced people is a great plan, but above all else they have to be people you can trust and who have good judgement/ similar goals. This can be another newbie who is motivated and smart. Good luck and have fun!

bobdelon

by bobdelon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:20 am

if you like it ,just do it. :P

Return to General