9/19 Mt Frissell (CT/MA) rescue?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
dkoehne

9/19 Mt Frissell (CT/MA) rescue?

by dkoehne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:14 pm

While driving down past the Mt Frissell trailhead in CT at 4pm today (9/19), I saw 2 state trooper cars, 2 ambulances, the MA park ranger car. As I was driving to Sailsbury, CT. I was passed by another ambulance and several fire rescue vehicles. I don't know who needed rescuing or what happened, I do know that the weather and conditions were perfect. I have also hiked this trail before and I wouldn't classify this trail as particularly long or difficult.

It would be interesting to find out what happened.

Ciao

dkoehne

by dkoehne » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:52 pm

CT State Police in North Canaan, CT, tell me that it was an injured hiker with a broken bone trapped on a ledge and that the hiker was airlifted out. Knowing the trail the only two places I think that are places to slip and fall are the climbs up the eastern sides of Mt Frissell and Round Mountain. I am not aware of any easy place to land a helicopter in this area, maybe over near Brace Mountain.

Last year I had one of my strangest hiking encounters in this area. In early December 2008, I was on the trail between Round Mountain and Mt. Frissell when I passed a late middle-aged male hiker that had a large can of bear spray in one hand and was shouting "Here Bear!" every 10 feet. While I am no bear expert, I would have thought the MA/CT black bears in this area would already be hibernating by mid-December and I felt that the weather (32F and strong cold winds) were more of a threat than any black bear.

Ciao

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:13 pm

That's funny, I hiked up that Mountain the same day, but I didn't see anything, it was later and I summited around 5:00pm. Nice day though, I hope that dude wasn't to banged up.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)