Aaaaaa, will I ever understand?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
lcarreau

Aaaaaa, will I ever understand?

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 pm

I know this subject has been discussed (at length) in the past, but I still don't understand the way people vote on SP.

Seems like there's a group of people (no names) who always end up having their photos
displayed on the front page.

Wouldn't it be better to vote on photos from other folks for a change? Or, would that be
too drastic of a change for some people ???

I mean, I LOVE looking at very sharp peaks with snow on them, but seems that the very same folks keep posting them day after day ... in my opinion, that takes something AWAY from SP. It sort of makes things "boring" after awhile.

Does anybody else have any opinions on this very controversial subject ?

Maybe, it's just me seeing this happen? Perhaps I should visit a remote spot in Alaska,
and stick my head in the icy, cold water. This would probably make me understand better?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Yep, voting is a very controversial subject!

Perhaps I could lighten things up by telling a joke ???

TOP 10 REASONS CLIMBING IS BETTER THAN SEX...

* CHOICE OF NOVICE OR EXPERT ROUTES
* A CLIMB CAN LAST ALL DAY
* GUIDEBOOKS TELL YOU HOW MANY VISITORS HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE YOU
* CAN PICK THE LENGTH AND DIAMETER OF YOUR ROPE
* THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE BACKING YOU UP IN CASE YOU FALL OFF
* YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR PROTECTION BEHIND FOR THE NEXT GUY
* LOTS OF TIGHT CRACKS
* IT'S NOT CONSIDERED KINKY TO WEAR A HARNESS
* THE ONLY RUBBER YOU WEAR IS ON YOUR FEET
* THERE ARE STILL ROCKS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN TOUCHED

8)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:37 pm

It doesn't matter.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

MoapaPk wrote:It doesn't matter.

Well .. apparently, it does to some people.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm

lcarreau wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:It doesn't matter.

Well .. apparently, it does to some people.

Not to many. Over the years, I tried several times single handily to break these folks from being so committed to manipulating such a simple well meant system, knowing full well tons of hate would be heaped on me, no worries of course. Never have you, or any one had the courage to join me. It would have only ever taken one other person to make it work. These guys have to be weaned from the manipulation process, and I refuse to request that the system be changed when the membership at large does not have the courage to change it themselves even though they have the tools to do it.
Last edited by Dow Williams on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoCalHiker

Re: Aaaaaa, will I ever understand?

by SoCalHiker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:39 pm

lcarreau wrote:I know this subject has been discussed (at length) in the past, but I still don't understand the way people vote on SP.

Larry, I am sure you know the article here on SP about "How to get POTD or POTW". This is exactly how it works and I am sure Dow is referring to it to how one can manipulate the system using these "simple" steps.

But as said before: It really does not matter. I look at the pictures/sites that interest me, not what is on the front page necessarily. Many of my pictures that I regard as good (from a photographic point of view) did not get a lot of votes, while others that are mediocre at best gathered many. There is - in general - no correlation between votes and quality.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:01 pm

SoCalHiker wrote:
lcarreau wrote:I know this subject has been discussed (at length) in the past, but I still don't understand the way people vote on SP.

Larry, I am sure you know the article here on SP about "How to get POTD or POTW". This is exactly how it works and I am sure Dow is referring to it to how one can manipulate the system using these "simple" steps.

But as said before: It really does not matter. I look at the pictures/sites that interest me, not what is on the front page necessarily. Many of my pictures that I regard as good (from a photographic point of view) did not get a lot of votes, while others that are mediocre at best gathered many. There is - in general - no correlation between votes and quality.

So, it's a "sick game" that people partake in to boost their ego by counting
up their votes at the end of each day here on SP ??? ?

Man, there's NO solution to that! People are ALWAYS going to be like that - that's HUMAN NATURE. Some people will go to GREAT LENGTHS to impress other people.

I will never ignore a GOOD picture when I see one. But, I guess that's just me.

drpw

by drpw » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:09 pm

What about this for a simple answer: some people here are talented photographers who because of their talent produce great photos consistently and therefore end up with a lot of highly rated photographs. The premise of this thread is a little insulting to the people who get their photos on the front page regularly don't you think? And ultimately, who cares?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:20 pm

I care.

Nope! I can see "talent" when I see it, and I can see "popularity" when I see it.

The two don't necessarily have to go together.

It's just a silly game that I have no interest in playing.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:21 pm

squishy wrote:How would said change take place?

On occasion over the years, I would put the 1-10 system in play. Knowing full well that Antonio Giani, for example, was contributing photos almost every day for the sole habitual purpose of POTD every single day he could. On a day when I would not submit any photos (I exclusively only submit photos on a route I have climbed and am getting ready to add to the site), so the "photog clans" could not call foul, I would vote something less than 10, something more realistic on Antonio's (just an example again, he is not the only one) top photos of the day and vote 10/10 on something truly unique for that day from a member who did not submit photos every day, to use the system for how it was meant to work, to encourage new and less active members to submit more of their beta to the site. We have an out lier system, so my vote is meaningless after approximately 10 votes. It would only take one or two other members to wean members like Antonio from trying to manipulate the system on a daily basis. There, how simple is that? Note, I took on plenty of hate and recourse members thought would affect me, but didn't.

As it stands now, I like most everyone else pays zero attention to the front page. I never visit it or see it. There are no surprises as to what is going to be there. But I don't expect any of you who complain to actually have the courage to try and change it for the better. It is much easier to criticize the site or those of us who have tried to make it more interesting. These are just my opinions. You won't find me caring much anymore about this subject. My beta is used by folks who Google the route name, not who visit the site so much, and that sums up my participation with SP at this point.

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:42 pm

lcarreau wrote:Perhaps I should visit a remote spot in Alaska,
and stick my head in the icy, cold water. This would probably make me understand better?

AK wouldn't change things much, Larry, you'd better move west or east. :lol:

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:46 pm

It's not that Antonio's photos aren't good. They are indeed good. The sad reality is that there are often times better photos (IMO) during a given week that don't get as many votes because the member does not have as many "friends" to vote on his/her submission. Achieving the POTW is often a matter of how popular you are, rather than how good your photo is. But 'thems' the rules, I guess...

I also agree that some members know how to game the system, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I've seen, for example, similar photos of the same shot posted on different weeks for the sole purpose of winning POTW. That's bullshit.

I'm not directing any of these comments specifically at Antonio. There are several people that regularly win the POTW contest. I was just using Dow's example.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 pm

lcarreau wrote:I vastly prefer pictures of moths !!

As do I :mrgreen:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Alpinist wrote:It's not that Antonio's photos aren't good. They are indeed good. The sad reality is that there are often times better photos (IMO) during a given week that don't get as many votes because the member does not have as many "friends" to vote on his/her submission. Achieving the POTW is often a matter of how popular you are, rather than how good your photo is. But 'thems' the rules, I guess...

You have a very valid point there, George!

It's obvious that I don't have any "friends" here on Summitpost.

And ... I'm not sure I want any!

:lol:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:01 pm

TheOrglingLlama wrote:
lcarreau wrote:I vastly prefer pictures of moths !!

As do I :mrgreen:

I love llamas! I could not live without llamas! They are my friends!
8)

Next

Return to General