Aconcagua in February (the conditions?)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Samuli Mansikka

Aconcagua in February (the conditions?)

by Samuli Mansikka » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:32 pm

Hello!

It seems that the vast majority of the Aconcagua climbers attempt the mountain in December - January. I might not be able to travel to the area in that time of the year in 2007 so I would like to know if someone among the Summitpost readers has been on the mountain in February? What are the conditions like at that time of the year compared to January? Any radical differences in winds, temperatures etc.?

I am going to ascent via the Plaza Argentina side and going to decide the route on spot depending on the ice/snow conditions.

Thanks!

Ario

by Ario » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:23 pm

Haven't been there in Feb. but according to Aconcagua climbers' logs (Feb. enteries) and your own ones, should be ok for you, if not that hell of Viento Blanco that can hit at any time !
I wonder if there haven't been some other SP members on the big mountain in Feb. this year (check on your western border ;-) )... Let's wait for their post once back to civilisation ! It's always very reliable.
All the best,
Ario

PS: felt sorry for you guys last Sunday, not that am much into pro sport, just a pitty it always happens to Suomi...

Samuli Mansikka

by Samuli Mansikka » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:04 am

Ario wrote:PS: felt sorry for you guys last Sunday, not that am much into pro sport, just a pitty it always happens to Suomi...

Oh yeah! Thanks Ario for your compassion. We played such a great tournament with only wins under our belt and then in the final... and against Sweden!!

Thanks for the reply! Just want to make it as light as possible and alpine style so hope it doesn't get much colder right after the high season.

jeff

by jeff » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:46 pm

I climbed it in February of 2000. I don't remember the exact dates, but we were on the mountain the first two weeks of the month. Generally we had very good weather, especially at lower altitudes. We did get one big storm that blew through at camp 2 (around 17k ft.) on the Vacas Valley approach and another climbing group lost a tent in that one. Our high camp at White rocks was also windy the first night but fine the second night. We didn't hit any major snow until we got above Independencia and didn't put on our crampons until just before Windy Crest. Some snow in the canaleta but not too much. Never even used my axe. Summit day was perfect weather.

William Marler

by William Marler » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:30 pm

I climbed it in 87 and 88 in February. Got the intermitent storm but the weather was generally good. Colder in year 88 one person was frostbitten. Milder in 87 climbed in fleese and wind shell on summit day. You never know. Should be good.

jimnylander

by jimnylander » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:47 pm

February is a great time. Fewer people and the cost of the permit goes down. The weather on Aconcagua is a crap shoot anyway. I was just on the summit a week ago. I had to wait out some weather at Nido but summit day was perfect.

Return to South America