All You San Jacinto Pros

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Rob

by Rob » Sat May 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Deb wrote:Summitted San Jacinto via MMT on Friday with perfect snow and temps. I had a lump removed from over my left knee 2 weeks ago, stitches due to come out in a week, but I couldn't take staying away from the mountains any longer!!
Took me just under 5 hours to summit; never saw/found or made a trail once leaving the PCT/Deer Springs junction, I just shot an azimuth and blazed over the frozen snow (in crampons) across Drury's skirt and straight up the the Folly-Jacinto saddle (that's what I call it).
There is a set of Honda keys on the San Jacinto summit block.
The trip back to MMT trailhead was wrought with a few somersaults (not intentional) down steep snow slopes, tripping head long over downed trees and "where the hell am I?" I never found the trail! In the 5.5 hours it took me to get back to my truck, I traversed MILES back and forth between PCT and 7 Pines trying to eliminate landmarks. Yes, I have map and compass but in the trees, everything looks the same! I clambered up a high point of rock (4th class in crampons), called Dave who was on his way home from Lancaster. "I'm lost." What a goober! Talking to him calmed my nerves and I was able to gather a plan and go for it. 90 minutes of gingerly sliding down into a deep draw, over (and through) a few creeks, hop-scotching over downed trees, climbing back up onto rock prepisces, and eventually finding the terminus of the logging/fire road - I reached my truck just moments before Dave drove up to help find my ass. He's so sweet!
I consider myself a decent navigator, but I was just massively confused by everything with the snow covering and too damn many trees. Clouds dropped onto the peaks and I could no longer ascertain who was what. Without the compass and map, I'd still be out there. :)

Nice Deb, glad it all worked out...and SAR Dave just happened to be in the neighborhood, in case you needed him, that's pretty cool! Now take care of your knee silly.

zcando

by zcando » Sat May 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Glad you made it out safely. Curious... where did you find the fire road? Which one was it?

Deb

by Deb » Sun May 16, 2010 3:55 pm

zcando wrote:Glad you made it out safely. Curious... where did you find the fire road? Which one was it?

It crosses the MMT fairly close to the trailhead, you can see and smell the camp grounds about 300' below. It's terminus is about half a mile north of the MMT. From the high point I spotted it from, I could only see it's upper half curving towards a structure (building?), but I was pretty sure it was the same road.
Yes, it worked out reasonably well; another 90 minutes and I would have been looking for a boulder to sleep under. :?

Deb

by Deb » Sun May 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Rob wrote:Nice Deb, glad it all worked out...and SAR Dave just happened to be in the neighborhood, in case you needed him, that's pretty cool! Now take care of your knee silly.

He was a very comforting voice to hear out there; I was just about to be a "girl" and start crying. :evil:
Interestingly, I didn't have cell reception on top of the big ass mountain (San Jac), but I had it on a rock cropping surrounded by trees and stone. ?
Friday night is supposed to be our date night anyway, so this REALLY worked out - we had dinner together at Jo'Ann's in Idyllwild. :D
Stitches come out Thur.....if I don't yank them out myself with fingernail clippers!!

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Mon May 17, 2010 1:28 am

Way to go Deb ! Did not make an attempt on Friday, Went to a wedding yesterday in palm springs, still not knowing if I was going to attempt a hike today. When I opened my eyes at 4:30am I decided to go for it, drove around the mountain to the Humber Park trail head and had a dry trail for awhile, then snow cover at about 8800', above that the trees would send the GPS in and out, forgot my compass and could not orientate the map to feel comfortable. So I turned around with my tail between my legs and came down.

bluerail

by bluerail » Mon May 17, 2010 4:01 am

Skyline is clear...nothing in the way of snow there that would matter

Cy Kaicener

All you San Jacinto pros

by Cy Kaicener » Thu May 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Rescued hiker tells his story. Search and Rescue just updated their website
http://rmru.org/missions/2010/2010-008b.html

Augie Medina

Re: All you San Jacinto pros

by Augie Medina » Thu May 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:Rescued hiker tells his story. Search and Rescue just updated their website
http://rmru.org/missions/2010/2010-008b.html

thanks Cy. Excellent TR; the guy showed excellent judgment in my view.

Previous

Return to California