San Jacinto

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
eboniske

San Jacinto

by eboniske » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Planning to meet some (less experienced/out of shape) friends to hike up Mt. San Jacinto next weekend from the top of the tram. I have never been up there myself. Will we need crampons/axes, or are snowshoes and poles enough?

Vladislav

Re: San Jacinto

by Vladislav » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:51 pm

eboniske wrote:Planning to meet some (less experienced/out of shape) friends to hike up Mt. San Jacinto next weekend from the top of the tram. I have never been up there myself. Will we need crampons/axes, or are snowshoes and poles enough?

The best place to check recent conditions is here:
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/

Deb

Re: San Jacinto

by Deb » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:38 pm

eboniske wrote:Planning to meet some (less experienced/out of shape) friends to hike up Mt. San Jacinto next weekend from the top of the tram. I have never been up there myself. Will we need crampons/axes, or are snowshoes and poles enough?

You'll need all the gear mentioned above!

x15x15

by x15x15 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:04 pm

if these storms hit like they say they will, you will need to be an experienced mountaineer to safely make this trip... even then it might not be so safe... but sometimes that is when it is FUN!!! Snowshoes or skis, i would go with the skiis. avalanches do happen, even in so cal, especially after these big, wet, dumps. the tram station is over 8,000 feet and 6-10 feet of snow is possible... i am hoping... skiing the santa rosa's can be a blast. many great runs to be had...

RickF

by RickF » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:36 am

Eboniske,

I've done that route in previous winters. Sometimes a trail is broken and hard packed other times its soft snow or hard ice. If you want to increase your fun and your likelyhood of making it to the summit you should take all the winter gear. Next weekend you could be one of the first parties up in the new snow so you should also be prepared to navigate your way up and back.

Return to California