alps in winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
barts

alps in winter

by barts » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:24 am

Can you advise me where can I go in Alps in December? It will be my first ascent in winter in Alps so I'm looking for something 'easy'. I was thinking about some 4000m peaks, but I'm wondering if it's not early for me. Maybe some 3000m peak? What do you think?
I've done several 4000m peaks, but in summer. I have winter experience in Tatras.

visentin

Re: alps in winter

by visentin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:27 am

barts wrote:Can you advise me where can I go in Alps in December? It will be my first ascent in winter in Alps so I'm looking for something 'easy'. I was thinking about some 4000m peaks, but I'm wondering if it's not early for me. Maybe some 3000m peak? What do you think?
I've done several 4000m peaks, but in summer. I have winter experience in Tatras.

Hello Barts,
The Tatras highest peaks are more or less the equivalent of three-thousanders in Alps or Pyrenees (higher, but more in the south so the same mountain levels are located higher). I would not advise you to climb some 4000 in winter unless you know very much what you are doing, or with a mountain guide, or with experienced fellow along. The difference between a 3000 and a 4000 is really huge.
At this season you could for example go to the south Alps to experience something really different than the Tatras from the landscape point of view.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 am

From what I experienced in the high tatra in winter the temps are quite comparable.

But attempting alpine 4k peaks in real winter conditions would require Skiing or Snowshoeing IMHO, although some exceptions might be found (e.g. using cable car to short the route). Otherwise approach in deep powder snow can become really tough and consume much more time than you expect.

For this + other reasons december is in the alps is low season whereas the high ("winter") season is in spring. In spring snow has settled (lower avalanche risk), crevasses are not only hidden but also reliably filled up with snow.

I would not so much decide between 3k or 4k but consider the simple length of the ascent because days in december are so short. If you want something "easy" better stick to frequently done climbs where there is already a track etc.

What is frequently done you find in various internet portals where you also can get up-to-day beta. Plus watch the actual conditions (avalanche, amount of snow).

IMHO december is not the best time for a start into winter alpinism. One better choses routes with a level of difficulty much lower than ones summer skills.

HTH, Martin

no avatar
barts

by barts » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:39 pm

Thanks for your answers!

vincentvega

by vincentvega » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:31 am

you will be snow shoeing in the winter!!

Return to Europe