Anapurna region

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
furia

Anapurna region

by furia » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:23 am

Any information about Anapurna region? Is it accessible now after the earthquake?

selinunte01

Re: Anapurna region

by selinunte01 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:10 pm

I checked today because I know a private school near the village of Manang north of Annapurna and I wanted to know wether the staff and the pupils are save. As far as today there is no direct contact possible: no electricity and no cell phone. We will have to wait for more information.
Jomsom airport seems to be undamaged and open, Pokhara airport seems to handle flights, too, but I don´t think you will be able to fly INTO Kathmandu as a tourist now.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 pm

The area west of Kathmandu is a mess. This is Gorkha, the epicentre, and you need to cross it to get to Pokhara, for the Annapurna region.

Pokhara itself is reportedly OK, but trails in the mountains in most places are damaged and many villages in Gorkha flattened. The death toll has passed 4,000 as of this morning 0900 Australian EST.

If you can change plans, I would seriously reconsider, and go somewhere else.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:18 am

Carlos Soria and his team decided to leave Annapurna though I believe that the decision was before the earthquake because of the bad weather (very snowed mountain) day after day:

http://prensa.bbva.com/actualidad/notas ... 624__.html (in Spanish)

selinunte01

by selinunte01 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Spiegel online (in German only) tells that the Annapurna circuit from Manang to Thorong High Camp was hit by several landslides and avalanches due to the earthquake so we sadly have to expect more news about dead trekkers and their porters / guides. It seems that parts of Annapurna circuit actually are no go zones.

Return to News