Everest Region - Hundreds Need Rescued

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Buz Groshong

Re: Everest Region - Hundreds Need Rescued

by Buz Groshong » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

"Last week, some of the tourists began a four-day walk to the town of Jiri to take buses to Kathmandu."

Sounds like more fun than waiting a week for the weather to clear for a flight. It would get you off the tourist path, so you might some of the real Nepal.

Bruno

by Bruno » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:"Last week, some of the tourists began a four-day walk to the town of Jiri to take buses to Kathmandu."

Sounds like more fun than waiting a week for the weather to clear for a flight. It would get you off the tourist path, so you might some of the real Nepal.

It is because of Summitpost. All these tourists trusted the outdated information included in the Everest Mountain page, and didn't dare to trek to Jiri as the bus has been cancelled (7 years ago...): :wink:

Note on recent bus cancellation to Juri Author: vito corleone Date: May 19, 2004 05:08 AM At the moment it is not possible to take the bus to Jiri. There are no busses going to the east of Nepal from Kathmandu because maoists shot at a public bus and killed several people, including civilists. After that, all the bus services were suspended. Nobody knows when the busses will be going again.
Source: Everest main page

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I guess the idea of running into maoists might make me think about staying in Lukla and waiting for the weather to clear. 8)

Bruno

by Bruno » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 am

Buz Groshong wrote:I guess the idea of running into maoists might make me think about staying in Lukla and waiting for the weather to clear. 8)

They won't run into maoists rebels anymore: the civil war ended in 2006. I just couldn't resist mentioning how some of our "star" pages are outdated, after all the discussions on how to improve Summitpost content. :wink:

Of course, if these tourists are afraid of meeting Nepalese maoists, then they should better avoir Nepal at all: the current Prime Minister is from the maoist party, which has become the biggest political party in the last elections. Not that I have a personal opinion about them, just expressing facts.

I've been around 15 times to Nepal over the past five years, and never had any security issue. Nepal is again a very safe place for foreign travellers, as it was up to the mid-90ies before the start of the civil war.

Return to News