Arc'teryx Alpine Packs

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
kayakerSS

Arc'teryx Alpine Packs

by kayakerSS » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm looking to get a new alpine pack soon. There have been a couple of topics on the forum recently which have really helped me narrow down my options. I am pretty much decided on the Cilogear 40B, but I keep going back to look at the Arc'teryx Khamsin 50 and Khazri 55. Does anyone have any kind of experience with these packs? I'm mostly concerned with load carrying capability, ease of climbing, and durability. Any info on these packs, and maybe how they compare with the 40B, would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Packs/Khamsin-50
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Packs/Khazri-55

radson

by radson » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:48 pm

The Arcteryx khazri 35 is probably the worst pack I ever bought...and it could have been so good. perhaps the 55 is better.

JedSMG

by JedSMG » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:34 pm

I used the Khazri 55 for a full season of High Sierra guiding (Palisades, Mt. Whitney, couloir climbs) and I love it! I've never used a Cilogear pack, but I have fondled them. I have no desire to switch to a Worksack. However, my friend who owns, and has used extensively, a comparably sized Cilogear pack wants to switch to the Arc Teryx. He cites durability and simplicity.

I like the Khazri because it is durable and big and simple and "strippable", in that order. Also, when stripped down, those weird horizontal frame pieces really come into their own. I use my Khazri with none of the included frame bits. I pack carefully and shove a piece of cut and folded sleeping pad in there to support/protect and to sleep on. I have carried up to 60 lbs, for multiple days, in this fashion. When I get to camp and empty the overnight gear, I can take as much or as little day-climb equipment as I want, without the pack turning into the weird, unbalanced Andinista-tube. The two horizontal stays hold the pack flat against my back and make the pack bag into a low-profile flat shape, rather than a lumpy sausage. Maybe I've just drank the kool-aid, but it works for me.

I'm sure I'll now feel the wrath of the Wild Things/Cilogear contingent... :-)

fossana

by fossana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:09 pm

I have a circa 2003 Khamsin, which I love and still use. Last year I ordered the newer Khamsin, which I promptly returned. Sadly it's over-engineered and heavy. I did end up purchasing and keeping a Needles 55, which is closer but still beefier than the Khamsin. I wish Arc'teryx would bring the old Khamsin back.

Return to Gear