As El Niño grows stronger, so does hope for a wet winter...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:56 pm

A real nice snowy winter down in So Cal, but it looks like it wasn't a banner year in the Sierra:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES.04

Some areas are above average, but a lot of areas are just average.

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:11 am

KathyW wrote:A real nice snowy winter down in So Cal, but it looks like it wasn't a banner year in the Sierra:

One of the more interesting things about this winter is after the big late January storms series, the media and alot of people have been thinking the whole state was above average and some places much above. All winter I've keeping track via the wrcc website graphic map precipitation charts of the state. Even after Janurary much of the state was barely at average precip and quite a bit was somewhat below. Even in SoCal. That is one reason some of the major wildflower spots in SoCal have been modest flops this year. And the best wildflower bloom in the state is happening right now and is really not on very many people's radar. As a 8-5 m-f weekend photog this year I'm taking off this Friday for a longer weekend to nail this once or twice a decade event. The fact Carol Leigh's hotline is shut down makes certain it will remain relatively lonely.

David Senesac
http://www.davidsenesac.com

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:30 pm

It isn't a great year for wildflowers in the Southern California Desert areas from what I've seen. I checked out Mission Creek (off Hwy 62) on Friday and the flower show wasn't very impressive.

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 am

butitsadryheat wrote:
David Senesac wrote:As a 8-5 m-f weekend photog this year I'm taking off this Friday for a longer weekend to nail this once or twice a decade event. The fact Carol Leigh's hotline is shut down makes certain it will remain relatively lonely.

David Senesac

I know it's not the Poppy Preserve that you are referring to (although it is starting to finally bloom out). Are you talking about DV?

nope, its gonna be a loooooooong time before we can hope to repeat anything close to 2005 at dv

and ain't in the mojave or sonora and is noted so on the web

peninsula

by peninsula » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:38 pm

David Senesac wrote:
KathyW wrote:A real nice snowy winter down in So Cal, but it looks like it wasn't a banner year in the Sierra:

One of the more interesting things about this winter is after the big late January storms series, the media and alot of people have been thinking the whole state was above average and some places much above. All winter I've keeping track via the wrcc website graphic map precipitation charts of the state. Even after Janurary much of the state was barely at average precip and quite a bit was somewhat below. Even in SoCal. That is one reason some of the major wildflower spots in SoCal have been modest flops this year. And the best wildflower bloom in the state is happening right now and is really not on very many people's radar. As a 8-5 m-f weekend photog this year I'm taking off this Friday for a longer weekend to nail this once or twice a decade event. The fact Carol Leigh's hotline is shut down makes certain it will remain relatively lonely.

David Senesac

It is true, the total rainfall YTD in most areas of SoCal are at best, slightly above average. The nice thing about this year's storm systems has been their spread. Excepting the big week in January, these storms have been nicely spaced, and although they are tapering as we go, systems are still active in the SoCal region with more precip expected tomorrow. As for the benefit of moisture soaking into to the ground and not running off, this has been a banner year for the eastern San Diego County Mountains. Even the big storm in January was amazingly spread out over the course of 7-8 days, allowing for deeper ground penetration in what was then extremely dry soil.

As for our water supply, the spread is irrelevant, it is all about the Sierra snowpack. As of April 1, this year's water equivalent in the Sierra snowpack is only 106% above normal. As goes our drought situation, we have a long ways to go before we can call an end, but a normal year is still a good year. If we can get a few back-to-back good years, perhaps we can call an end to this drought. I keep hearing we are in a 3-4 year drought, but by my count, if one considers how dry it was the year before and the year after 05, we are currently experiencing a 10-11 year drought (or is it 11-12... I'm starting to lose count!). We are currently experiencing the driest period ever recorded west of the Rockies. If one goes by tree-ring studies, it has been over 500 years since the current drought has been exceeded, back when the entire cultures of native Americans vanished. If the current drought continues unabated, desalination will be the only answer along with a healthy dose of regulations prohibiting the current abuse of what little water we have.

peninsula

by peninsula » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:41 am

Now we are talking! Incredible winter storm going through San Diego County. Up to .9 inches storm total, mixed between snow and rain at 3740 feet. Over 25.5 inches for the year. Looking good, nice and spread out. I love the rain.

Blair

by Blair » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

BBL recieved 8-10 inches last night...

Here I am @ work :cry: :? :( :evil: :x

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:42 pm

WE have a foot of snow on our deck here in Idyllwild. Tahquitz Peak above us is in deep winter mode. The sun just came out and the world around us is absolutely wonderful. PS. Propably won't do our day hike today..

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:30 pm

Alios.... you lucky dog. :wink:

x15x15

by x15x15 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:59 pm

it was t-shirt weather on sunday. great day to sit on my porch with a fine ale and the steaks on the bbq while watching the alpine glow on tahquitz... reflecting on such a fine day on the rock. we did "the standup flake-the flakes-price of fear" linkup that afternoon.

racking up

topping out on standup flake

neither of us could onsight the 11c crux (only blemish on a stellar day)

granjero

by granjero » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Woooooo, get your coats out, next week might be chilly if the gfs verifies...record lows in socal?!

Morning temps for 29 April

And for you old school so-cal folks, what is the lastest in the year (and how about lowest elevation) where you can remember significant snowfall?

The El Nino signal remains strong, tornado averages in the midwest are pretty far below normal...[/img]

x15x15

by x15x15 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 pm

And for you old school so-cal folks, what is the lastest in the year (and how about lowest elevation) where you can remember significant snowfall?

during th 1997 el nino i was floating through the trees on the parking lot runs at baldy, and this was May!

Blair

by Blair » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:59 am

Nice pics x15x15, hope youre enjoying your awesome backyard!

Thanks for posting those weather charts granjero, lets hope for more powder days! IN MAY!!!

PreviousNext

Return to California