As El Niño grows stronger, so does hope for a wet winter...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:51 am

jhodlof wrote:I did, that is why I wrote to change it to snow from precip. I remembered it wrong.

Even if you consider just snow in Flagstaff, they still make the point that when the Ninos are high, snow is well above average, and the current forecast is for, at the least, a moderate Nino (and the recent big jump in SSTs in the last 3 weeks is pushing that towards 'major'). And also this considers Flagstaff only and does not factor in the higher elevations, where the snow/rain ratio is higher. You're in for snow this year.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:00 am

We could use some snow in the Big AZ.

The last time I wandered out among the Verde River, the cottonwoods were so dry that
a beaver developed a nasty toothache.

:shock:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:41 am

I say that it all begins in the next 3 weeks or so.

Be warned, when it starts, ya'll are gonna wish that it never started cus it aint gonna stop for a long ass time...mark my words.

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:02 am

jhodlof wrote:I know this is from a state on the eastern seaboard, but the two winters referenced, 2002-2003 and 2006-2007, were very dry here in Arizona. I also don't know how they were for CA, but if this forecast is for conditions that gave us the dry winters referenced, it is not good for us. Especially since we are in a severe drought here. Flagstaff is on track to record it's driest ever year on record since 1899, and a dry winter would be extremely bad for us. Not that California could benefit from a dry winter.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/reports/ana ... o2010.html

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=fgz
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/wrh/techMemos/273.pdf

Flagstaff is currently sitting at 8.56 inches of precipitation for the year, the current record of 9.9 inches from 1942 is the driest year on record. Since we need 1.34 inches to tie that, it is very possible that this year is going to be the new driest year on record. It would require a massive amount of precipitation before 12/31 to not have us in the top 5. This was not only due a failed monsoon, but to dry conditions during the entire year. Only one period, late May, saw abundant moisture, 2.08", and interestingly that fell during what is typically the driest time of year and gave us our 5th wettest May on record.

Dude,

Have you ever read Cadillac Desert? There are some interesting things in there about Arizona and water. You should check it out. I can't remember all the details off-hand, but I can remember thinking... Arizona, WTF?

:shock:

Gusto

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:31 am

All I know is that it's been drier than dry so far!! If this is supposed to be a wet winter like 04-05, it better starting raining tomorrow :shock:

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:58 am

From the NWS:

Since October 13 when a very strong storm affected northern and central California, drier than normal conditions have prevailed across the state. At the beginning of the outlook period, moist onshore winds should bring several inches of precipitation to northern California. By the end of November, enhanced rainfall associated with a MJO event is expected to become established across the western pacific. This MJO activity may affect the circulation pattern across the north Pacific and contribute to wet conditions along the West Coast. Later in the winter, the storm track is expected to gradually shift south along the West Coast. El Niño composites along with the CPC seasonal outlook favor above-median precipitation during December – February. Therefore, improvement is forecast in California.

Forecast confidence for California is high.

It still looks like it'll be better than the last couple of years.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/seasonal_drought.html

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:09 am

Every El Nino event starts in late Dec and doesn't stop till late March through April.

Patience.

granjero

by granjero » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 am

jhodlof wrote:Only one period, late May, saw abundant moisture, 2.08", and interestingly that fell during what is typically the driest time of year and gave us our 5th wettest May on record.

That was likely a strong El Nino onset signal.

It's supposed to be a wet winter, right? Well, it is still fall, after all...

No year will be like year "19--". Try not to think of the atmosphere as a repeating structure in that sense. Van den Dool (1994) estimates that it would take 10^30 years to find an analogous period in the Northern Hemisphere of 500mb heights given our current observational error. Also see Lorenz (1969) for similar conclusions. You can observe and try to explain trends, but it is best to do so using physical understanding rather than statistics. Ramage (1983) has a great paper on this called "Teleconnections and the Siege of Time".

All that said, burn your old skis and pray to Ullr!!!!

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:29 am

Why on earth are folks expecting S. Cal/AZ/NV to keep having the same rainfall? When that area has been drying out for the last couple thousand years? Why on earth do you expect that area to not keep right on drying out?

Why does everyone keep wishing the that world will never change(Uniformitarianism) when its a KNOWN FACT to ANYONE WITH A BRAIN LARGER THAN A PEA, that the world changes and has been changing and drying out which by the way has nothing to do with humans. Ya, the Sahara used to be a gigantic treed paradise a few thousand years ago too. Guess what? Its not anymore. Take a look at all the dried lakes in CA... A mighty large clue right there. Lakes are next to the last things to dry up where only weeping springs are last.

Why do morons expect glaciers to remain the same size when we can see geologically that they have been shrinking steadily for the last several thousand years?

Bunch o' people need to pull their heads outta their asses and breath a little common sense. Quit blaming people(partial reason for desertification) as the reason and start actually doing science as to how the world actually operates. Try looking in the sun and the oceans as they regulate the entire world.

Brian

granjero wrote:
jhodlof wrote:Only one period, late May, saw abundant moisture, 2.08", and interestingly that fell during what is typically the driest time of year and gave us our 5th wettest May on record.

That was likely a strong El Nino onset signal.

It's supposed to be a wet winter, right? Well, it is still fall, after all...

No year will be like year "19--". Try not to think of the atmosphere as a repeating structure in that sense. Van den Dool (1994) estimates that it would take 10^30 years to find an analogous period in the Northern Hemisphere of 500mb heights given our current observational error. Also see Lorenz (1969) for similar conclusions. You can observe and try to explain trends, but it is best to do so using physical understanding rather than statistics. Ramage (1983) has a great paper on this called "Teleconnections and the Siege of Time".

All that said, burn your old skis and pray to Ullr!!!!

no avatar
jermkesler

by jermkesler » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 am

Regardless if the changes are natural or man induced, I don't understand why some people seem to think its a bad thing to try and limit the amount of crap we spew into the air........

granjero

by granjero » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:36 am

Well, that was certainly an interesting tangent. :roll: I guess they don't teach 'reading comprehension' quite like they used to!
In my email earlier in the month:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrWD0TRXhFg

granjero

by granjero » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:46 am

jermkesler wrote:Regardless if the changes are natural or man induced, I don't understand why some people seem to think its a bad thing to try and limit the amount of crap we spew into the air........

Precisely...
Just a fun fact: air quality restrictions on oil refineries generate enough revenue by increasing efficiency to offset the cost by about a factor of 10-20 (increases every second too!).

tanneyman13

by tanneyman13 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 am

granjero wrote:Precisely...
Just a fun fact: air quality restrictions on oil refineries generate enough revenue by increasing efficiency to offset the cost by about a factor of 10-20 (increases every second too!).

if it were only so simple...

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:16 pm

To quote my old boss at Mammoth Mountain Ski Patrol when I asked if the (then) developing El Nino would bring lots of snow:

"I'll tell you in March." :)

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Clydascope wrote:To quote my old boss at Mammoth Mountain Ski Patrol when I asked if the (then) developing El Nino would bring lots of snow:

"I'll tell you in March." :)

Hey, when were you there? I worked for the mountain as well, though as Lift operator, along with a few other jobs, during the 80's, and even early 90's.

PreviousNext

Return to California