BD Sabertooth vs Serac

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
kheegster

BD Sabertooth vs Serac

by kheegster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 pm

I'll need to get a pair of horizontal point crampons for alpine routes. BD crampons seem to fit my boot size well, so I'm considering either the Sabertooths and Seracs. As far as I can tell they both seem very similar: same weight, same bindings and even though the Sabertooths are more aggressively advertised the Seracs seem to have more aggressive secondary points.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the two? I'm looking for something that works on technical alpine routes (AI3-4) and the occasional spin on vertical WI.

gcap

Re: BD Sabertooth vs Serac

by gcap » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 am

i have the sabertooths, but this is the first I've seen/heard of the Seracs.

i think sabertooths will be slightly more technical than the seracs - although you're right, they are virtually the same pons except for the secondary points and only minute differences at that. sabertooths look to have slightly more aggressive angled secondary point allowing easier heel drops on vert ice.

i'd go sabertooth, tried and tested.

Or you may want to consider petzl sarkens, which do everything well IMHO - definitely better on vert ice than the above two. (and 20% off at EMS)

climbncookie

by climbncookie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:23 am

I have the old steel Sabretooths and so far so good. They work great on most anything

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:41 am

I really like my old sabretooths except for the weight (2.5lb+), and BD used pretty soft steel that dulled quickly. The stainless are lighter - if they are harder as well they sound awesome.

Blair

by Blair » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:08 am

Another happy sabertooth user here, but I have not used the seracs. I would use them maybe for easyer alpine stuff. The sabertooths will do almost anything.

You can prob find some cheap out there too if you look for em... :wink:

MScholes

by MScholes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:14 am

I must say that I'm quite pleased with my cyborgs. They're great for me on vertical and near vertical mixed and ice as well. On the few steep "snow slogs" I've done lately with them, they performed flawlessly.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

I've owned sabretooths since 2004 -- the old black ones. They work .. mine have been up Shasta, Rainier and a bunch of other peaks, plus alpine & waterfall ice. The secondary points don't look like much, but if you adjust the toebail so that are far enough forward, they will give adequate support (which is not possible with the clip version). They are kind of heavy, but pretty much bomber.

The serac's are somewhat new, and I believe initially they were only available on the euro market. The secondary points look like they would work well.

I've seen the OP's cyborg's in the geargasm thread, and he said he was interested in routes like the Kautz on Rainier and N Ridge Baker in another thread. Haven't done the latter, but I did the Kautz in my sabretooths, and I would think almost any decently-adjusted 12-point crampon would work for that route.

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:06 pm

If you are buying them for technical alpine climbing which involves snow, ice and mixed climbing, my suggestion is to buy the Petzl Sarken, by far some of the best crampons I have tried.
They are very light and they climb exceptionally well, I am at my second pair...

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 pm

For what it's worth the latest issue of Rock and Ice did a review of the new stainless Sabertooth's along with the Cyborgs and the new super lightweight CAMP model.

Return to Gear