Best Guidebooks to Charlottesville Area Hiking/Climbing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
builttospill

Best Guidebooks to Charlottesville Area Hiking/Climbing

by builttospill » Tue May 04, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm moving to Charlottesville in August, so I'm looking for the most useful guides to the area in terms of climbing and hiking. I'll definitely be getting a guide to Seneca Rocks, but is there a climbing guidebook that covers any areas closer to Charlottesville?

What about hiking? I'm sure I'll need a good guidebook to Shenandoah NP (which one though?), but does that also cover the area immediately around Charlottesville for quick outings?

Any recommendations?

adventurer

by adventurer » Tue May 04, 2010 9:14 pm

The easiest way for you to make sure you get guidebooks that meet your needs is to go to the local REI store after you get to Virginia. They have a good selection covering various areas in Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia.

Another idea is to go to the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) website. They offer a number of differenr guidebooks focusing on hiking & rock climbing.

JonW

by JonW » Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 pm

This guide book provides a good overview of the area. You'll probably want to supplement this with individual guide books for Seneca and the New River Gorge.

builttospill

by builttospill » Wed May 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Ha, I didn't even realize I was that close to the New River Gorge.

Thanks for the suggestions....not sure how much time I'll have for hiking and climbing, but if I find some time this summer when I arrive, I'd like to be semi-prepared to get out a bit.

jvarholak

by jvarholak » Wed May 05, 2010 9:09 pm

What's bringing you to C'Ville fowweezer.... ooops, I mean builttospill? Check out Blue Ridge Mountain Sports (www.brms.com) in the Barracks Road Shopping Center in C'Ville. They have a large selection of guidebooks with the majority focused on local gigs. They have a knowledgable staff that will be happy to get you where and to what you want. It's not Utah but it is a great little town. Enjoy it...
john

JonW

by JonW » Wed May 05, 2010 9:36 pm

builttospill wrote:Ha, I didn't even realize I was that close to the New River Gorge.

Yea, definitely hit up the Gorge. Both the Gorge and Seneca would be a hike for day trips but definitely doable for a weekend. On the way to Seneca, there is a pretty nice little sport crag right before Franklin. This used to a local hidden gem until Horst put it in his guide book, but I guess that's the way it goes.

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 am

jvarholak wrote:What's bringing you to C'Ville fowweezer.... ooops, I mean builttospill? Check out Blue Ridge Mountain Sports (www.brms.com) in the Barracks Road Shopping Center in C'Ville. They have a large selection of guidebooks with the majority focused on local gigs. They have a knowledgable staff that will be happy to get you where and to what you want. It's not Utah but it is a great little town. Enjoy it...
john

Grad school, actually, so I'll be a permanent Charlottesville resident for quite awhile. No, it's not Utah, but it seems pretty good....I mean, I'll at least be able to get a bunch of hiking in, even if alpine climbing and ice climbing will be harder to come by.

I'm sure I'll be in need of partners for Seneca and other stuff at some point, so I'll probably be posting here from time to time about that also.

AirborneBuff

by AirborneBuff » Wed May 12, 2010 2:40 am

Don't be so quick to dismiss the ice climbing. Check out the SP page on Whiteoak Canyon, some of the ice climbing pics are ones I took on a winter hike a couple years ago.

gregorpatsch

by gregorpatsch » Wed May 12, 2010 3:20 am

Builttospill,
There's definitely some decent stuff around here. I think the town lacks climbers more then it lacks climbing. There's some bouldering 15 minutes from town, rock climbing within 45 minutes, and plenty of hiking within an hour radius. There can even be a little ice 30 minutes away. There is a small climbing gym in town...it's really small but has enough to get you pumped and it's a great place to meet some of the local climbers.
http://www.rockytoprec.com/
Hit me up when you get into town.
Gregor

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed May 12, 2010 3:38 am

For hiking, nothing beats the PATC guidebook. The Falcon guide may have better profiles and trail descriptions, but the PATC guide covers just about every trail and AT segment in the park.

For recommendations of best hikes and lesser-known gems, feel free to send a PM. I've been all over that place and know some nice spots that trails don't go.

builttospill

by builttospill » Sun May 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey, thanks guys, especially the info about ice climbing. It took me several years to really get to know Utah's local mountains and I am still really unfamiliar with a lot of areas....so I'm sure I'll be looking for a lot of information from people here over the next couple years. That and partners for Seneca and what not.

jnp701

Welcome to the #1 place to live! haha

by jnp701 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:41 pm

I live in Charlottesville! It's a great town for outdoors enthusiasts. It has a monthly regional publication called Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine (http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com) and they always list great hiking/biking/camping opportunities in the region, and the town is very centrally located to most recreational and park areas in the Blue Ridge Mountains so I'd recommend checking them out if you're looking to get started on fun outdoors things to do.

builttospill

by builttospill » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 pm

I've got a second non-climbing question, but I hate to start another thread.

How essential is central air conditioning in Charlottesville? It was pretty damn hot when I visited, but it was July, so who knows. I'm looking at apartments that are 2 bedrooms and obviously central air is a major differentiating factor among apartments. Anyone want to chime in on the misery of life without central air in central Virginia? I grew up in Maryland, in an almost identical climate, but my family always had central AC and I wasn't really paying attention anyway, being a kid and all.

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:05 am

Life would suck without a/c. My oldest son was renting a farm house without a/c while he was going to school. It really sucked. At least he had a private pool in his backyard. I wouldn't rent a place without a/c.

adventurer

by adventurer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:20 am

Granted that it's been unusually hot this year. However, even a normal year in the Charlottesville area would be miserable without A/C from mid May through at least mid September.

Next

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)