Best Season for Canyon Country - esp Utah?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
battledome

Best Season for Canyon Country - esp Utah?

by battledome » Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm looking at heading out to the desert sometime in the fall or spring of '10-'11 for a little R&R. Can anyone recommend the best season to visit southern Utah?

My time is limited - probably fly in on a Wednesday and out on a Saturday. I was thinking about hiking the Narrows at Zion or doing Angel's Landing or some of that other touristy stuff.

Really, I'm just stressed out and over-worked and wishing that I'd built in a couple of mini-vacations this year.

Anyway, advice is always appreciated.

cp0915

Re: Best Season for Canyon Country - esp Utah?

by cp0915 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:01 pm

The "best" season is highly dependent upon the area you'll be visiting and what you intend to do. For instance, April is a terrific time for Angels Landing (despite the fact that there was just another falling death this past week), while it's a horrible time for the Narrows.

April is a great time for canyons in Robbers Roost and North Wash but not good at all for canyons in Zion. Most Zion canyons are awesome in July (though you need to watch for early monsoon activity), but that month is way too hot for Arches, the Roost, North Wash, Capitol Reef, etc.

My answer is ~ fall! In late September or early October, just about everything is doable and perfect! The snow hasn't yet fallen, and the weather's generally fine - but some of the sustained wet canyons can be very, very (dangerously) cold. Dress appropriately in all seasons, of course.

Edit: Angels Landing is typically great from mid-March to late-November (or somewhat later). Summer (June to September) will be hot though, so start early. And watch the afternoon weather. The Narrows should be great from July to late September this year. Getting cold(er) after that.
Last edited by cp0915 on Mon May 03, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

battledome

by battledome » Mon May 03, 2010 4:06 pm

cp0915 wrote:The "best" season is highly dependent upon the area you'll be visiting and what you intend to do. For instance, April is a terrific time for Angels Landing (despite the fact that there was just another falling death this past week), while it's a horrible time for the Narrows.

April is a great time for canyons in Robbers Roost and North Wash but not good at all for canyons in Zion. Most Zion canyons are awesome in July (though you need to watch for early monsoon activity), but that month is way too hot for Arches, the Roost, North Wash, Capitol Reef, etc.

My answer is ~ fall! In late September or early October, just about everything is doable and perfect! The snow hasn't yet fallen, and the weather's generally fine - but some of the sustained wet canyons can be very, very (dangerously) cold. Dress appropriately in all seasons, of course.

How do you feel about Zion in November? I've got a marathon on Halloween day, and my legs won't be back for another couple of weeks after that.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:17 pm

battledome wrote:How do you feel about Zion in November? I've got a marathon on Halloween day, and my legs won't be back for another couple of weeks after that.

November is my favorite month in Zion for climbing peaks, though the vast majority of the canyons are too cold by then. The nights are cold, the days are (short but) perfect, the weather is generally stable, the bugs (and rattlesnakes) are long gone, the snow hasn't yet fallen, the leaves are still changing in the high country, the park's empty of visitors, you can drive the road to Temple of Sinawava, and finding a table at Oscar's is a breeze.

Rick B

by Rick B » Tue May 04, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm sorry to turn this question upside down, and ask which canyons are best to visit during end of may / early june? (and which ones would not be a good idea)

(To battledome: I could start a separate thread if you like, but I thought it might be useful for you too .. ?)

cp0915

by cp0915 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Rick B wrote:I'm sorry to turn this question upside down, and ask which canyons are best to visit during end of may / early june? (and which ones would not be a good idea)

If you're asking specifically about Zion, I would respond (for this, a heavy snow year) with this opinion:

Good: Misery, Spry, Behunin, Telephone, Keyhole, Heaps, Pine Creek, Englestead, Birch Hollow, Russell Gulch;

Not so good: Subway, Middle Echo, Mystery, Narrows, Orderville, Boundary, Das Boot, Right Fork, Imlay, Kolob

Only talking about the more known canyons. Many, many more 'off-the-radar' canyons around there. Others' opinions might differ. I'd recommend you consult the backcountry desk for current conditions though.

Return to Utah