CA DFG President Kills Mountain Lion

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mrchad9

Re: CA DFG President Kills Mountain Lion

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Marmaduke wrote:What people think of the guy and his character is another forum that is worth discussing.

That the head of the California Department of Fish and Game, which regulates hunting, hunts as well? Oh the horror.

norco17

by norco17 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:
norco17 wrote:The only problem here is that a bunch of anti hunting nut jobs are freeking out over something that is perfectly legal.

Us anti hunting nut jobs aren't freaking out over the issue of the legality of hunting, but the morality of killing an animal for no other reason than to get the hunter's rocks off. Did you get a look at that guy's face? You'd think he had just cured cancer or something equally useful and difficult, or at least got laid.

Did you read the article they ate the lion it was more than just " getting his rocks off." I bet if we looked at your images you have a summit shot of yourself with a big goofy smile. No different. He was happy with a successful hunt just like you are happy with a successful climb.

The following user would like to thank norco17 for this post
Fire4x4, lcarreau, mrchad9

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:
norco17 wrote:The only problem here is that a bunch of anti hunting nut jobs are freeking out over something that is perfectly legal.

Us anti hunting nut jobs aren't freaking out over the issue of the legality of hunting, but the morality of killing an animal for no other reason than to get the hunter's rocks off. Did you get a look at that guy's face? You'd think he had just cured cancer or something equally useful and difficult, or at least got laid.

I mostly agree with you on the morality of this kind of hunting, and the only hunters I respect are bow-hunters.

But . . . it's legal. Change the law.

Don't call on a guy to resign for engaging in a legal activity.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

The following user would like to thank Arthur Digbee for this post
norco17

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:What people think of the guy and his character is another forum that is worth discussing.

That the head of the California Department of Fish and Game, which regulates hunting, hunts as well? Oh the horror.

As usual Chad......misrepresent what was stated. I DID NOT SAY THAT THE FACT HE HUNTS IS HORRIBLE. Par for the course with you.

I know for most hunters this is the norm but I quite frankly think it's sad commentary.
Duck hunters hide in blinds with camo all around them to blend in and they lay hundred of decoys out and use duck calls to entice the duck to them- sad.
Bear and Cougar hunters (in some states) lay out bait to attract the animals while again, either perched high up in a tree or a hunting blind and wait- sad.
Dogs "treeing" the game- sad.
And hunting for the meat and the skins, well OK in my book- but merely for the kill and a trophy- sick.
And this list could go on with other game as well.....this is called a sport? Yes I will judge his character and others of his ilk

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Just a thought ... me thinks we need some more LAWS. I'll have my bear buddy discuss this issue with the HIGHER UPS .... :wink:

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
mrchad9

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 pm

So why is this thread even in the General Forum?

Has absolutely nothing to do about anything regarding climbing.

Last time I checked, this was Summitpost.org NOT Huntingpost.org.

Plus the dude in question, DOESN'T even Climb.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

As usual Chad......misrepresent what was stated. I DID NOT SAY THAT THE FACT HE HUNTS IS HORRIBLE. Par for the course with you.

I know for most hunters this is the norm but I quite frankly think it's sad commentary.
Duck hunters hide in blinds with camo all around them to blend in and they lay hundred of decoys out and use duck calls to entice the duck to them- sad.
Bear and Cougar hunters (in some states) lay out bait to attract the animals while again, either perched high up in a tree or a hunting blind and wait- sad.
Dogs "treeing" the game- sad.
And hunting for the meat and the skins, well OK in my book- but merely for the kill and a trophy- sick.
And this list could go on with other game as well.....this is called a sport? Yes I will judge his character and others of his ilk

He ate it Marmaduke. Did you miss that part?

What's your issue with him? You don't hunt, but you want to tell others how to do it? Sounds like nanny state liberalism to me.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 am

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 am

norco17 wrote:
Did you read the article they ate the lion it was more than just " getting his rocks off." I bet if we looked at your images you have a summit shot of yourself with a big goofy smile. No different. He was happy with a successful hunt just like you are happy with a successful climb.

That they ate the animal makes no difference. Dude in the photo looks plenty well fed. He wasn't substinence hunting. There is big a difference between having dogs chase an animal up a tree to shoot it and climbing. When I climb I don't take the life of a beautiful animal. He gets his rocks off killing animals, I get my rocks off climbing rocks. One activity is destructive and consumptive, one is not.
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 am

Dow Williams wrote:Image

And those humans that use dogs and high powered weps to terminate Lions from a ground level and no more than 20 foot separation between their muzzles end and the targets (lion) head.

Of course it will be a Head Shot.

Had the CAF&G Boss missed this target, that assuredly would have been grounds for his immediate dismissal from his post.

Sarah Palin and her Helo Hunting Business Approve.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:48 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:
norco17 wrote:

That they ate the animal makes no difference. Dude in the photo looks plenty well fed. He wasn't substinence hunting. There is big a difference between having dogs chase an animal up a tree to shoot it and climbing. When I climb I don't take the life of a beautiful animal. He gets his rocks off killing animals, I get my rocks off climbing rocks. One activity is destructive and consumptive, one is not.

How do you get to your climbs? Do you take a car? They pollute, consume carbon fuels, and need concrete and asphalt paths covering potential wilderness. Deliberately destructive and consumptive.

colinr

by colinr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:54 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfkVGCU_BA[/youtube]

Good Ol' Charlie Manson! I was near his hide out, and later near his prison cell this past weekend.

The CA DFG official hunts mountain lion story has been around for awhile now, with new layers being added over time. It certainly provides an opportunity for discussion. I wonder how much impact any of it will end up having on laws and culture in the long run.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:55 am

mrchad9 wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:
norco17 wrote:

How do you get to your climbs? Do you take a car? They pollute, consume carbon fuels, and need concrete and asphalt paths covering potential wilderness. Deliberately destructive and consumptive.

FWIW, I don't own a car, but for the sake of your argument, do you really equate driving with killing a noble beast? Do you equate your morning commute with say shooting your neighbor's dog in the head?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 am

SeanReedy wrote:The CA DFG official hunts mountain lion story has been around for awhile now, with new layers being added over time. It certainly provides an opportunity for discussion. I wonder how much impact any of it will end up having on laws and culture in the long run.

Had the CA DF&G Boss any real balls, he would have utilized this wep with a single standard 661 gr projectile and terminated that lion from 3 miles away while in his cosey lounge chair with a glass of 100 year old Scotch AND a lit Cohiba in his mouth.

Now that would have been a shot heard around the world!!!!
Last edited by The Chief on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:10 am

People kill animals ... motorized vehicles or firearms NEVER kill animals.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Arthur Digbee, mrchad9

PreviousNext

Return to California