Camping on the A. T.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
carolinajim

Camping on the A. T.

by carolinajim » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:56 am

I want to hike a section of the A.T. in the G.S.M.N.P. The info says shelters and designated sites only. I have also heard one can camp anywhere provided no open fires and proper distance from streams. Is this still the case? Thanks Jim

e-doc

by e-doc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 pm

designated sites only. I camped in Deer Creek Gap once when caught by darkness in October. If caught by the rangers in a non-designated site, I suspect one needs a pretty good excuse as to why. Rangers can come through at any time, even night hunting boar.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 pm

The Smokies are one of the most crowded parks you'll ever visit. They HAVE to assign camping spots or the place would be ruined. Frankly, my days of camping on the AT are over. I can't tolerate the crowds and the often accompanying stench of human feces.

RamblinWreck

by RamblinWreck » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Yup, designated sites/shelters only...if you're set on going in the summer remember that the Smokes is one of the most visited parks in the NP service, so account for lots of traffic on the trail. That being said, I would definitely call WAY in advance to make a reservation to wherever it is you plan on going. Shelters and camps are even difficult to get in the middle of the winter (the only time I really get up there) so in the peak season of summer I would bet they're near to impossible to reserve, but I may be wrong. Good luck!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)