Cathedral Peak this weekend

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mtndonkey

Cathedral Peak this weekend

by mtndonkey » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 am

Looking to head up and climb the SE Buttress this Saturday and just wondering if the typical crowds will have thinned out on this route now that is a bit later in the season. We will be getting an early-ish start but just trying to gauge how early we need to get going.

mrchad9

Re: Cathedral Peak this weekend

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:45 am

I cannot comment on the route in particular, but the crowds in Yosemite were everywhere last weekend. I was very surprised... more traffic along 108, 120, in the valley, and cars parked at trailheads than I had noticed in a long while.

Not sure why, and it may not indicate anything about Cathedral at all. Next weekend might even be totally different.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:55 am

Next weekend should be pretty crazy out there if the weather forecast is good. In addition to all there will be a big "Bay Area Mountaineering" meetup group in the area. Not sure if anyone will climb Cathedral in particular, but I would expect a lot more people now than in early season.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:33 am

mtndonkey wrote:Looking to head up and climb the SE Buttress this Saturday and just wondering if the typical crowds will have thinned out on this route now that is a bit later in the season. We will be getting an early-ish start but just trying to gauge how early we need to get going.

It is still not too late in the season. We were just there this past Saturday. There had been T' storms earlier in the week (Dana had a dusting on it,) but we had stellar conditions. And yes, lots of people. Prob. about 20 all told. All 3 var. were busy. The chimney creates a bottle-neck with a convergence of routes as does the final pitch above the big ledge. We avoided that section (the best climbing was below) and traversed across the 4th class face to the left and climbed up and over the crest to the left of Panic Pillar. We unroped, left gear there and 3rd classed the summit via the regular route. We were up and down pretty much by the time the parties we were waiting for arrived. Despite the crowds, everyone was cool and friendly. If weather turns out nice, it may get busy. Have fun.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

sunrise is 645 or so; the hike up to the base will take 70mins+. get up at 430, eat, at base by 620, eat again, climbing by 640. you'll be first in line (mandatory)

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:05 pm

I was up there Labor Day weekend. We left the trailhead at 7:30 and had long waits on pitch 4, 5 & 6. A slower pair who left at 5:30 the day before didn't have any problem.

WML

by WML » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Wake up early, be prepared to climb alternative variations, or if at all possible avoid it on a Saturday. Or, if you are confident at the grade, go in the afternoon and simul-climb it...

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:35 am

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. Second question, any word on the campgrounds near the entrance of Tioga Pass? There are 5 or 6 small NF campgrounds and I am wondering how quickly they fill up. We will be getting in at 9:30 or 10pm on Friday and hoping to score a spot. Does anyone have knowledge if they have been filling up on Fridays? I know I can reserve something at June, but prefer to be as close to the park as possible (TM is already fully reserved, not sure if they have walk-ins, gonna call them tomorrow for more info). I hate arriving in the dark and scrambling to find a spot especially if it means turning around and driving back 30 mins to somewhere else b/c its full. Bringing the wife on this trip so need a bathroom of sorts as she won't be a fan of just crashing somewhere, otherwise I could care less.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 am

If it is anything like last weekend I would expect them to be full.

I'll PM you an option that I think meets your criteria. Bathroom and all.

Norma R

by Norma R » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 am

I did the SE Buttress on Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Had the route nearly to ourselves until P4. We also had the summit to ourselves. This was the reward for an early start by leaving the TH at 5:30 a.m. It was nippy on the approach at that hour. On Sunday it was a zoo i am told with 1.5 hr wait at belay stations and a line waiting to get on the summit for shots.

Return to California