Charity Stevens found on Mt Shasta by a Mountaineer

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
lcarreau

Re: Charity Stevens found on Mt Shasta by a Mountaineer

by lcarreau » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:29 am

surgent wrote:This has been a fascinating story.

I, too, am curious why she wasn't required to be checked out. It's not necessarily her decision to make. After three days with minimal gear and a questionable state of mind, she should have been given the once-over by a doctor and perhaps a psychiatrist observation. The Sheriff probably would have demanded it if only to avoid further liability.

Her actions and movements and state of mind are as important to this whole situation as the surrounding rescues. The rescue team will certainly be parsing this for months and it's reasonable that she give her side of the story.

You're from Arizona, so you're trying to make sense out of something that doesn't. California girls ofter defy logic, as well as gravity.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:44 am

Yank-Tank wrote:Man, if they can't find some chick on the clearcreek route then the would have no show of finding Chad if he got lost over the back.

I would not worry about Chad. They may not find him but they would definitely find his rope and follow it to his location. Ropes are not that long. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:37 am

yank-tank it seems I am on my own

clmbr

by clmbr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:28 pm

powderjunkie wrote:...Was she hiding from rescuers?
mrchad9 wrote:powderjunkie is right. How is it she didn't run out and wave at all the helicopters flying over for two days? Where was she during that time... because surely she saw them. Where was she? Not that hard to be spotted and it seems would have to be actively avoiding them for it to take this long to find someone on that route...

All right, all right. It seems like you doubt rational facts, so I’ll tell you the story why SAR could not spot her from another angle. It’s simple, she was not there. Well, she was there but kind of hiding as you suspected, invisible to the outside world. Believe it or not, Mt Shasta is one of the most world known sacred mountains with many surrounded her legends and myths. Mario, a climber I met high on the mountain, tells the legend stories associated with Mt Shasta (at 4:00).

When she made the 911 phone call, they advised her to move to keep warm. So she did. She found and followed Chad’s and Ian’s footprints leading to Konwakiton Glacier, which they left between Mud Creek Glacier and Watkins Glacier a few days earlier on Sunday. (Yes, they were there too and I saw them; see pics below.) She did not have a headlamp and, before realizing how dangerous the terrain she was traversing through, fell down in one of the deep crevasses. But she remembered the “Touching the Void” story and smartly continued sliding down the crevasse even more. Well, she had no gear to climb out of it anyway. Then she walked for two nights and two days through the Lemurians’ complex of tunnels and Brown’s caves beneath the mountain she accidentally rediscovered. She saw several up to ten feet toll giants dressed in white robes who were basically ignoring her even though she waived at them. On the second day, feeling hungry, thirsty and tired of her long adventurous wandering through this complicated to navigate labyrinth, luckily and magically she noticed a small but strong, bright light above which decided to follow. Through this whole time, she meditated and prayed for “World Peace” which put her in a spiritual mode no one has gone before and allowed to experience visions no ordinary mortal could comprehend. The light disclosed another secret access through a small crevasse on the tiny Watkins Glacier to the sacred world beneath the mountain. The crevasse was easy to exit and she climbed out to the rocks atop, found a stone-chair and set down to rest. She heard an inner voice her journey was about to conclude and patiently waited for her fate. You now the rest... :o

“Telling this story I left out many details and emotional aspects to primarily focus on the most important facts, points and keeping it reasonably short,” but I like it and think am going to write a book... :D Let me know if you would like to pre-order it. :)

Konwakiton & Watkins Glaciers on July 23-24, 2017
mrchad9 wrote:Good time on one of Shasta's least traveled routes... and maybe the most dangerous due to some long exposure to rockfall... Konwakiton Glacier :-)

Had a couple of microwave sized chunks a short distance from us and more than enough ping pong to baseball sized rocks very close to keep it exciting. Crux was exposed and fun as well and we were more than delighted to make it to the upper glacier and the summit in this remote and rarely visited part of the mountain!

Crux on lower glacier

Crevasse on upper glacier

Exiting the glacier

On the last picture above you can clearly see Red Banks behind Konwakiton Glacier which are on the opposite side than Clear Creek. :o

Watkins Glacier

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Was she a big girl? If she was she might not have fit down those crevasses.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 am

She would have to have left the trail on Misery Hill in order to find our footsteps. Does not make a lot of sense. Some details still seem to be missing.

Getting this whole story is harder than finding a person on a treeless scree slope.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 am

Maybe what really happened was him and charity had a bit of a session behind the rock and when it was over she was so tired that they had to call in the chopper.

The following user would like to thank Yank-Tank for this post
lcarreau

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 pm

That would explain why she had his clothes.

clmbr

by clmbr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:47 pm

mrchad9 wrote:She would have to have left the trail on Misery Hill in order to find our footsteps. Does not make a lot of sense. Some details still seem to be missing.

Getting this whole story is harder than finding a person on a treeless scree slope.

How did you know about Misery Hill?

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:25 pm

clmbr wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:She would have to have left the trail on Misery Hill in order to find our footsteps. Does not make a lot of sense. Some details still seem to be missing.

How did you know about Misery Hill?

He must have seen broke back mountain too many times?

clmbr

by clmbr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 am

Unbelievable! Is this bad “Karma” or ”No good deeds go unpunished?” Or they just keep covering their rescue inefficiency even deeper. I indeed did not expect that!!! See the official Shasta Ranger Report about Charity Stevens rescue and who found and helped her.

https://www.facebook.com/MountaineeringConnections/posts/1275662232561370?comment_id=1427368940724031

So the story continuous...

The following user would like to thank clmbr for this post
myles, ZeeJay

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 pm

Since the official Rangers’ Report for 2017 release (on Feb 21, 4:40pm) I started receiving various notifications pointing out contradictions in between both reports and even accusing me for not telling the truth and even for claiming credits for someone else. I understand why people would value any story interpretation from the government sources rather than ordinary citizens and posted a request to review and correct or remove the disputed phrases to prevent future attacks on my identity:
https://www.facebook.com/shastaavalanch ... 28/?type=3

These discrepancies and accusations are not just affecting me but also my family.

My family is proud of what I did (not only because they know I helped and saved many people in the mountains without asking even for a simple “thank you” but also saw unpublished yet material related to the search for Charity Stevens) and, therefore, the Rangers’ Report with the completely unexpected twist with inaccurate interpretation is just heart breaking for them.

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:47 pm

clmbr wrote:Since the official Rangers’ Report for 2017 release (on Feb 21, 4:40pm) I started receiving various notifications pointing out contradictions in between both reports and even accusing me for not telling the truth and even for claiming credits for someone else. I understand why people would value any story interpretation from the government sources rather than ordinary citizens and posted a request to review and correct or remove the disputed phrases to prevent future attacks on my identity:
https://www.facebook.com/shastaavalanch ... 28/?type=3

Sadly, the post was removed from the "Climbing Rangers Report 2017" page comments today before noon without any explanation so I'm including its copy bellow:

"Not to disrespect or diminish anyone's enormous rescue efforts who was involved in the Search and Rescue for Charity Stevens held between July 26-28, 2017 on Clear Creek Route, but due to receiving accusations after the report was published with some inaccurate or inaccurately interpreted facts resulting in the readers' perceptions that I "disingenuously" claimed credit in my report for finding and helping Charity Stevens "and omitting mention of the other climber who found and fed her before [me]."

I'm simply asking to review and correct or remove such phrases from the official report to stop such attacks and unsolicited messages on my identity, which I am afraid may result in physical attacks in the future during my presence on Mt Shasta (Shasta Rangers and many people know I frequently climb this mountain).

In my report, to focus on accuracy of represented facts, I tried to avoid such statements as "she told..." and focused on what I saw, felt and directly experienced. However, just so the readers might have a slight clarification of the truth I would say this time "she told", that after spending many hours sitting on rocks helplessly but still with hope and praying to be found, right before the sun went down again, just when she started shivering and knowing it was not a good sign, she saw someone [Marek] amazingly walking up the rocks, right at her, and asked him, "Are you with Search And Rescue?"

No one else at all was there at that time when I found Charity Stevens. I gave her liquids, food, and all my clothes for vital body warmth that she needed desperately and called the SAR's helicopter to the right location. Then "Elaine" arrived back from the summit and was shocked seeing a missing person right in the proximity of her tent. I did not leave or stop assisting Charity until the SAR's helicopter picked her up.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Mountaineering ... 8940724031

I'm hoping the whole truth will be revealed from more sources sooner rather than later.

Thank you for reading and your consideration of my request and concern for my wellbeing.

Marek R. Damm"

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 am

If Arnold Schwarzenegger was still governor instead of Moonbeam, this kind of stuff would NEVER happen!

But ... my condolences to the family.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
clmbr

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm

clmbr wrote:I understand why people would value any story interpretation from the government sources rather than ordinary citizens

Explain it then because I don’t get it at all!

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
clmbr

PreviousNext

Return to California