climbing around Shanghai?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Matthew Holliman

climbing around Shanghai?

by Matthew Holliman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:04 am

I'll be in Shanghai on a business trip for three months or so, starting around the middle of March. This will be my first real visit to the country, and I have a ton of questions about climbing options during my stay.

I'd expect to have weekends free, plus that national holiday around May 1st or so. What can realistically be done given these constraints from Shanghai, especially for someone who speaks no Mandarin beyond "Hello"?

I expect to spend a number of weekends doing the usual touristy stuff: Huang Shan, Beijing (Tiananmen Square/Forbidden City/Great Wall), Mt. Taishan, Mt. Huashan. I'd like to make it to Jiuzhaigou and Zhang Jia Jie, too. Beyond that, I prefer climbing peaks vs. cragging (I'm not a sport climber), and most enjoy 4th/easy-moderate 5th class climbs, up to about 5.8 or so... I love class 4ish scrambles in particular. (More background: Most of my climbing to date has been in California's Sierra, so I've been spoiled with good rock, good weather, and easy access. Just started ice climbing this winter. Haven't done any glacier climbs yet). Are there any such options doable over a weekend from Shanghai? And what would be feasible over a week in May? (For the latter, I've stumbled across Siguniang Mountain, as well as a couple of the "lower" peaks posted on here--Camel, Banji Feng--all of which look spectacular).

Are there decent options for renting gear around Shanghai? I'm planning on bringing my rock shoes, harness/belay device, and that's about it... is it worth bringing my axe, crampons, ice tools, etc? I'd rather avoid hauling this stuff over if possible.

Finally, I understand there are two climbing gyms in the city. Is there bouldering here, or if not, is it easy to just show up and find partners? Are they comparable to US gyms, i.e. decent selection of routes, opportunites to practice crack climbing, etc?

That was a bunch of questions... any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BobK

Shanghai Climbing

by BobK » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:12 am

Matthew,

Climbing in China is awesome, but most people are too busy with their work and family lives to get out very often. There is no limit to the climbing you can do in China, if you plan around the weather you should be able to climb most of the year. It is frustratingly difficult to climb from Shanghai - you have to get on an airplane to do just about anything. The climbing gyms are adaquate, not great.

There is a small, friendly and supportive group of climbers here. Finding partners should not be a problem, just time to climb! Can't rent gear here, but you can near the climbing destinations. If 4th Class alpine is your goal, you won't need much besides good boots. Travel can be cumbersome and take much longer than you imagine to get around. YOu can contact me after you arrive.

Bob

Matthew Holliman

by Matthew Holliman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:29 pm

Thanks for the info! I'll drop you a note when I get into town.

Eva190

by Eva190 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:49 pm

you couldn't find good mountains in Shanghai and around, maybe you can fly to Sichuan or Tibet, or Xinjiang to do it during May Holiday.

no avatar
mh

Re: climbing around Shanghai?

by mh » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:40 am

you need good mountain boots besides rock shoes. try to avoid traveling during the 5.1 holidays if you don't like crowd and high price of everything.

Return to Asia