Climbing Gymns in Berlin?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Poor Climber

Climbing Gymns in Berlin?

by Poor Climber » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:10 am

I will be in Berlin for about a month in two weeks. I know that there are several climbing gymns in the city, but I dont know anything about them. :?:

Can anyone recommend a climbing gymn for someone who is fairly new to climbing ( I only know top rope climbing...), will have no climbing partner in Berlin, does not have a rope ( I have shoes, harness, ATCs and the like, but no rope), and posseses a poor command of German?

Thanks in advance! :D

supermarmot

by supermarmot » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:22 am

Können Sie Deutsch lesen? Wenn so hier eine Website ist, die helfen wird.

And if not, here is a website that will help with that website:)

brenta

by brenta » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:43 am

I was in Berlin for a few days last July and went to Magic Mountain one night with friends. Based on that limited experience, I'd recommend it. Pretty easy to get to by public transportation. I don't remember seeing any autobelay devices, but I wasn't looking for them.

gert

T-Hall

by gert » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:26 pm

www.t-hallberlin.de is another location I can recomend to you. Magic Mountain as already mentioned is also a good idea to be check out.
Cheers! Gert

sdavis

both are cool

by sdavis » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:28 am

Magic Mountain was my home gym for a while. Tall routes for lead and sport, good bouldering (watch out for the birthday kiddies beneath your feet), internet, beer, sauna and steam room (nude, co-ed--German style), solarium, fitness center. Make it a day. 5 minutes walk to hard outdoor sport climbing on a WWI bunker. Easy U-Bahn access. More expensive than:

T-Halle in the south, which is a long walk or short bus ride from the U-Bahn, and then pretty hard to find. Go with somebody who's been there. Everything is a little bit less--less tall, less glitzy, less new. I like the surface and holds at T-Hall, a little crimpier, good place to blow out your fore-arms. People are super-friendly and laid-back, esp. the staff, and they can whip up a pretty good sandwich.

And there are 3-4 outdoor climbing walls, including one (on the big radar hill in the west--name?) where I saw someone practicing his dry-tooling last winter. Have fun. Wish I were there. Also, post on RC.com and you'll get some Berliners to respond who will take you climbing. Great old quarry about 3 hrs from Berlin.

Return to Europe