Climbing in France

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
rockrat2

Climbing in France

by rockrat2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:04 am

My wife and I will be going to France this coming Spring and she is wanting to climb her first big mountain. I have climbed all over in the U.S. but know very little about routes up big mountains in the Alps that would be suitable to take a beginner on (and myself being on un-familiar ground). Any suggestions?

Andino

by Andino » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Hello,

Spring can be early in the Alps, as there will be a lot of snow still, short days and cold temperatures. But it is possible of course ;o)
And if you go to lower altitude you shouldn't encounter as many obstacles.

Everybody is usually extatic about the Mont-Blanc range. Personnally I'm a big fan of Les Ecrins.
Fewer people and wilder area. But in Spring it might be more difficult to access it as certain roads may be closed, and some huts too.

It really depends on what you want to do... any idea ?

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:56 am

There will likely be a LOT of snow. March-May is generally ski touring season in the Alps and there is usually too much snow to go anywhere by foot. I was in Chamonix in March recently and the snow was waist deep on the glaciers. You could use snowshoes if you're not a skier. If you are, you can rent randonee skis in most mountain towns (Chamonix etc). There are some routes on the bigger peaks that can be done with skis or snowshoes in good conditions. In Chamonix (where I have the most experience) check out:

Mont Blanc - Grands Mulets route...long, with high objective danger from seracs
Aiguille d'Argentiere - Milieu Glacier route...shorter than MB and a classic

Also some shorter routes:

Aiguille du Midi - Cosmiques Arete...a few hours, a great mixed route in the winter/spring
Petite Aiguille Verte - Normal Route...also only a few hours and easier than Cosmiques
Mont Blanc du Tacul - Normal Route...a short glacier route to a high summit

In Saas Fee, Switzerland there are also some good easy objectives on 4000m peaks...Strahlhorn, Alallinhorn, Alphubel...snowshoes or skis are almost always needed.

March or May is probably the best time in the spring period. April is typically very unsettled with heavy snowfall and is best avoided. Regardless of when you go, if you're in Chamonix, always talk to the people at the Office du Haute Montagne. They can tell you about snow conditions, avalanche danger, which routes are in good condition, and which are inadvisable.

Return to Europe