Climbing Mt Elbert

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
funnyman7878

Climbing Mt Elbert

by funnyman7878 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm doing Mt. Everest Base camp (Nepal) in November and as part of my training I wish to climb Mt. Elbert (since Mt. Whitney here in California requires a permit by lottery which is a huge hassle).. I have a couple of questions :)

- I want to do this trek on August 31st (Labor day weekend), I'm in Southern California but plan to fly into Denver for the weekend. Since I have no friends who are interested in this sort of stuff (nor have the fitness, ability or free time to come with me to Colorado) I would have to look for a buddy to do this with me. I understand it's a day trek, how hard would it be to find one and any pointers of where I should look?

- I am not a very experienced climber but i'm in reasonably good shape, I've climbed some mountains here in SoCal including Mt. San Jacinto which was 7 hours roundtrip to/from the summit at 11,000 ft.

- I know it may be taboo to even suggest this, is it OK to summit Mt. Elbert solo? Is this even a good idea in terms of safety?

km_donovan

Re: Climbing Mt Elbert

by km_donovan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Elbert is a walk up. Start early ~30 minutes before sunrise to avoid the thunderstorms come up after noon. I have done it a couple times via the south trail taking up some first timers. The trail is well marked and on a weekend day in August there will be plenty of others out (maybe 200+) If you rent a 4x4 you can make it to the true trail-head saving yourself a little foot time. It is steepest at the beginning of the trail. Take plenty of water since I recall there were limited water resources up high.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-elbert/150325
http://14ers.com/photos/peakmain.php?peak=Mt.+Elbert

You will most likely fly into Lukla which is 9,383 ft to start your base camp trek. Generally the outfitters have you spend a day or two there to help with acclimatization also. Enjoy your trip and don't forget to go by the "Starbucks" in Lukla and say hi to Phurba. :mrgreen:

The following user would like to thank km_donovan for this post
funnyman7878

Return to Colorado