Complete East Ridge Mt. Humphreys conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fossana

Re: Complete East Ridge Mt. Humphreys conditions?

by fossana » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:18 pm

They just closed Buttermilk Rd due to flooding a few miles from the 168 junction (near Corral Camp area, well before the boulders). I suspect they'll take down the sign at the junction once conditions have improved.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 pm

There is another access road that is far above and is not affected by McGee Creek closures. It also takes a good 1/2 hour off the approach drive and no where near as torn up.

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Does anyone have an update on the Butermilk Road closure?

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 pm

asmrz wrote:Does anyone have an update on the Butermilk Road closure?

We were up this past weekend to climb Mt Tom and as of Friday the 8th the road was still washed out and closed.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Alois,

According to the folks at the USFS office in Bishop, the BM Road is still washed out as of this morning.

Are you interested in the alternative upper USFS fire road info?

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Rick, yes I'm interested, especially after reading your post above,stating the road is better than the lower one. I took the upper road some years ago (at night) to climb the Checkered Demon and the road was pretty bad, as bad as the lower one. This is cc 1999-2000. If as you say, it is better then the lower road now, I would take it. I'm not completely clear as to where it is, I know it is on the right hand side of the road (obviously) almost at the top of the grade, but I have no recollection of any signs or features. So yes, any info would be great and appreciated.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Alois, yes that is the alternative access that I am speaking of. It is in far better condition after the fire two years ago. The USFS had to clean it up in order to get the FF equip on and through it during that incident.

It is located 2.1 or so miles above and past Starlite Dr. (on 168) and on your right. There are two access and the second one is just past the first and has new Pit Toilet building in a dirt parking lot. It starts just to the left after you turn off into the 2nd area where the toilet is located. The first 2-300 yards are the most rocky and technical of the entire road. After you pass this initial section, it is rather well maintained.

Do you have a higher than normal clearance vehicle?

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks Rick, we will take your advice. Pen will bring her Toyota 4WD. Cheers, A.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 pm

The BMilks road has been repaired and now accessible as of yesterday afternoon.

How did your journey go Alois???

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Very long trip from the Roundabout TH at 8,600'. Took us 13 hours RT ( These days we are much slower than most of you guys). I would not consider this any kind of classic Sierra rock climb or scramble, way too much loose rock for that. On the other hand, the setting of the climb, the Buttermilk approach and the sea of flowers on the approach were great.The descent was the crux, we downclimbed the summit towers to the notch at 13,151' and down a snow/scree gully to the south. Rick, your approach description worked very well too.
All in all, long and loose, tiring scramble to almost 14,000'. That should count for something.

Previous

Return to California